Should I quit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

IPlease stop using the outfield as some sort of back up spot. It is a skill that needs to be taught and these positions are for players who are fast, have good arms and can track fly balls. If my AC coach made a suggestion like that (ie that is how you handle a lead), I would be angry enough to let them go (and I did not have kids on the team). Even if few balls go there, it must be an honored position. There are better ways to rotate defense with a big lead.

I agree with SB, DD is first year 12U and they are starting to see how important OF is. Most of our girls were starting IF on their last team and now someone has to play OF. At first their was some looks of disappointment, but now it has become an honored posit.

My own DD has picked up on the fact that she isn't fast enough to play CF and is working harder so she has a chance to get out there. A lot of those attitudes come from the coaches and our HC is constantly making a point of congratulating players on a great play in the OF.

Great points. DD (plays 14U) has always played MI and suddenly found herself in the OF for whatever reason (ironically coaches kids are MI now). Her HC doesn't seem to give OF the respect and time that is needed to develop a player out there. My DD was disappointed and felt like she was being outcast for not doing the job in the middle, but I kept stressing to her that she is fast and is a good fit to play out there. She was getting very frustrated because she finally accepted the move but her team spends virtually zero time with outfileld drills (she had one ball hit to her by the coach in LF last practice) so she was unsure of what to do and was getting torched when she was not in the right position or didn't execute a drop step properly (something never taught). She's still learning OJT, but she has a better understanding of how important it is now and seems to be enjoying it more and more as she figures out what to do - she just needs more reps.

She is an action junkie and the pace of the outfield can be slow when a pitcher is on (or really off), but I do believe that making difficult catches is something she is having a ton of fun with. There is nothing like making a heroic catch (or making a great back up play) out there when you have to track one down. She's getting comfortable with routine flies now and she had a very active game yesterday after a fairly slow tournament and was smiling ear to ear when we hit the car after getting knocked out of the bracket in a tight game (single elim) because she made some great catches and almost came up with two circus catches.

Plus, her soon to be HS coach is big on playing upper classmen in the infield, so this is her best chance to see playing time. On the other hand, she might not want to work her way back in as she refines her skills out there.

Legit positions - not a dumping ground.

Last edited:
Definitely don't quit right now and never make a rash decision while on the field either in game or even practice, always do the 24 hour thing go home think about it and make a rational decision. I would sit down with HC and ask him what the plan is for the game/season (understanding things can always change) if he says pitcher #1 always starts and pitcher #2 can come in if we are up more than 8 runs and pitcher #3 and #4 are for emergency (#1 and #2 are hurt or can't make the game) then at least you know where you stand and if that is his coaching philosophy you either accept it or find another team (after the season).

As far as rotating positions if girls have back up positions they are assigned to then given a 15 or 20 point lead I think it would be OK to rotate the girls into that position for some playing time however I would never rotate someone in a game to try them out at that position or send someone to the outfield because you don't think it is important. Again the coach should have a plan for playing time for his backup players.

Finally from the sound of it your league sounds a lot like ours there are several teams that are not competitive, I would scout these teams ahead of time and I actually picked two games in our schedule were we started all the backup players, pitchers and catcher included, but winning is not my #1 goal as a coach so maybe that makes a differnece.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm going to take a different approach. If there is tension and if you believe that you could get angry again in a game then step aside. You are the one running practices so your girl can get one on one work with you whenever you want. Coach her. Personally, I'm not the type to "play well with others" when I know that some political battle is taking place such as the mini tantrums the ACs are doing to sway the HC. So, sit in the lawn chair. Root for the team and look at how you can best help your child when you run your private practice for her. The worst thing that may happen if you don't step aside is that you blow up in front of the kids. They will never forget that. JMHO!

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
If your DD was having problems with one of the girls on the team would you let her quit in the middle of the season?

I agree that Pitchers need innings. There should be a game plan for this. Let #1 go till the game is out of hand then bring in #3 or 4. The next time start #2 and switch out later.If you are playing a weaker team let #3 and 4 get most of the mound time. No need to have a blow out when you could make a game out of it. I watched a rec ball game the other day. It was a 20-0 blowout. What an ugly game. The loosing team was out classed. In rec this happens a lot. In 4 innings the one teams pitcher had 12K's and 2bb and one hit. The guy has 2 other pitchers. that he could have thrown and made a game out of it. Instead it got to the point in the game that the fielders were not even getting ready for a play. It was boring for the girls. I felt sorry for the loosing team. I felt more sorry for the winning coach as I have 6 TB girls on my team and they gave him a taste of his own medicine a few days later. Still a 4inning game and I worked my #3 pitcher in to it.

Like I said. I think pitchers need innings. The more the better. The only way I would look at it differently was if it were a TB tournament and it was a seeding game on a Sat. or a Sunday championship. If you are winning by 10 runs, you can afford to give another girl a chance. It is better than a trial by fire in a close game later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32