Should I quit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2012
The situation

I am a AC for my DD's team. We have two mian pitchers and two other girls who are learning. The two main pitchers have split time pretty even through the season with pitcher #1 having maybe 5 more innings pitched than #2.

The other night we got up a 20 to 1 lead after 4 innings so for the 5th inning I suggested to the HC we split the inning between #3 and #4 pitcher letting each get to pitch to a few batters. (My DD is #3 and our league has a mercy rule for 10 run lead at the end of 5 innings). One of the other assistants wasn't happy about it but didn't really say anything just muttered under her breath.

Tonight we had another game and had a 16-1 lead going into the 5th. I suggested to the HC we again give the #3 and #4 pitcher the last inning to split. Now the #1 had pitched 3 innings and #2 had pitched 1 inning in the game.

When the HC told the other two pitchers to warm up while we were batting the other AC threw a fit. She went off about how it was unfair to pitcher #2 (her friends DD) and how she deserved pitching time and how she deserved to be the one to finish the game. i replied that pitcher #2 has had a lot of circle time this season and the only time we can get work in for the other pitchers is when we have a big lead like this.

She responds with pitcher #2 hasn't had a lot of work this paticular game and we would be screwing her by letting someone else pitch. I was really hot by now and was about ready to blow when I look over and see our girls in the dugout just staring. I threw my hands up and say whatever and walk away not wanting it to go any further in front of the girls.

well bottom of the inning comes up and sure enough HC caved and pitcher #2 comes out to finish the game. This isn't the first time someting has come up and HC caved. In an earlier game we had a good lead and I suggested we move out starting infielders to the outfield and let the backups come in to get some time at their backup position. We moved all our infielders out except one (the other AC's DD) because the other 2 AC (1 was gone for this game they are good friends) had a fit at the thought of her DD in the outfield and HC gave in then to.

I was so mad about this tonight that after we went and ate and came home I called HC and told her I would be stepping down. I can't take the other 2 AC favoring certain girls and getting their way when they throw a fit in front of the girls (2nd time they started a argument right in front of the girls). Funny thing is pither #2 was #3 last year and almost never got in the circle and her mom and her friends complained all the time about how it was unfair she didn't get time. She is getting a lot of time this year becuase last years #1 went to travel, but when I suggest we split a single inning between #3 and #4 when we have a huge lead it's "unfair" to that same girl.

Thing is i am the one who does the most physical work at practice. At the beginning of the year it was me and HC, but HC now has a injured hand so since then it has been me and one of the dad's who makes it to practice when he can tossing front toss, hitting grounders, and throwing pop ups. While the other 2 AC's either stand to the side and gossip or maybe stand at the plate and have the girls throw the ball back into them.

So when I said I was stepping down she asked me not to, asked me to at least take the weekend to think about it. She said she is going to have a talk with the other AC and that she agrees with me, but I think once the other AC gets back and it is the two if them she will cave every time they want something.

My DD doesn't want me to quit, but I just don't think I can do it and keep my cool. I was so furious I just about pulled DD and walked away from the game tonight. I think this stuff will continue and I can't just ignore it because it isn't right, and even though I love working with the girls I am afraid my anger with the way the other AC's are acting will start to show thorugh and affect the girls.

What do you think, should I just step down.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Little bit different but that is why I am not an AC anymore. I am slightly happier with the morons then thinking the time I put into all the Players gives me an opinion.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
HC needs to decide a game plan going forward and present it to all her coaches. Either she agrees with your ideas or she doesn't and the AC's decide to support whatever decision is made, close your lips, or step aside.

Someone will lose but it's really about the girls. Get them (the pitchers 3 and 4) more time in practice if you're running it anyway and maybe it will get them more time in games. Your DD deserves to play, if you hate coaching the situation step aside and enjoy just being a parent.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
The situation

I am a AC for my DD's team. We have two mian pitchers and two other girls who are learning. The two main pitchers have split time pretty even through the season with pitcher #1 having maybe 5 more innings pitched than #2.

The other night we got up a 20 to 1 lead after 4 innings so for the 5th inning I suggested to the HC we split the inning between #3 and #4 pitcher letting each get to pitch to a few batters. (My DD is #3 and our league has a mercy rule for 10 run lead at the end of 5 innings). One of the other assistants wasn't happy about it but didn't really say anything just muttered under her breath.

Tonight we had another game and had a 16-1 lead going into the 5th. I suggested to the HC we again give the #3 and #4 pitcher the last inning to split. Now the #1 had pitched 3 innings and #2 had pitched 1 inning in the game.

When the HC told the other two pitchers to warm up while we were batting the other AC threw a fit. She went off about how it was unfair to pitcher #2 (her friends DD) and how she deserved pitching time and how she deserved to be the one to finish the game. i replied that pitcher #2 has had a lot of circle time this season and the only time we can get work in for the other pitchers is when we have a big lead like this.

She responds with pitcher #2 hasn't had a lot of work this paticular game and we would be screwing her by letting someone else pitch. I was really hot by now and was about ready to blow when I look over and see our girls in the dugout just staring. I threw my hands up and say whatever and walk away not wanting it to go any further in front of the girls.

well bottom of the inning comes up and sure enough HC caved and pitcher #2 comes out to finish the game. This isn't the first time someting has come up and HC caved. In an earlier game we had a good lead and I suggested we move out starting infielders to the outfield and let the backups come in to get some time at their backup position. We moved all our infielders out except one (the other AC's DD) because the other 2 AC (1 was gone for this game they are good friends) had a fit at the thought of her DD in the outfield and HC gave in then to.

I was so mad about this tonight that after we went and ate and came home I called HC and told her I would be stepping down. I can't take the other 2 AC favoring certain girls and getting their way when they throw a fit in front of the girls (2nd time they started a argument right in front of the girls). Funny thing is pither #2 was #3 last year and almost never got in the circle and her mom and her friends complained all the time about how it was unfair she didn't get time. She is getting a lot of time this year becuase last years #1 went to travel, but when I suggest we split a single inning between #3 and #4 when we have a huge lead it's "unfair" to that same girl.

Thing is i am the one who does the most physical work at practice. At the beginning of the year it was me and HC, but HC now has a injured hand so since then it has been me and one of the dad's who makes it to practice when he can tossing front toss, hitting grounders, and throwing pop ups. While the other 2 AC's either stand to the side and gossip or maybe stand at the plate and have the girls throw the ball back into them.

So when I said I was stepping down she asked me not to, asked me to at least take the weekend to think about it. She said she is going to have a talk with the other AC and that she agrees with me, but I think once the other AC gets back and it is the two if them she will cave every time they want something.

My DD doesn't want me to quit, but I just don't think I can do it and keep my cool. I was so furious I just about pulled DD and walked away from the game tonight. I think this stuff will continue and I can't just ignore it because it isn't right, and even though I love working with the girls I am afraid my anger with the way the other AC's are acting will start to show thorugh and affect the girls.

What do you think, should I just step down.

Good for you. Easy answer. Don't quit. Why? Because you care. You are in it for the right reasons. You're right and the girls deserve that.

Apr 4, 2012
Not really sure what you hope to accomplish by stepping down. The assistant coaches sound like they will be happy to be rid of you but what about the players. As the only players advocate on the staff you would be turning your back on them.

Jul 1, 2010
I agree with SB, DD is first year 12U and they are starting to see how important OF is. Most of our girls were starting IF on their last team and now someone has to play OF. At first their was some looks of disappointment, but now it has become an honored posit.

My own DD has picked up on the fact that she isn't fast enough to play CF and is working harder so she has a chance to get out there. A lot of those attitudes come from the coaches and our HC is constantly making a point of congratulating players on a great play in the OF.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sad part is that it had to be suggested to get other pitchers work for it to happen

The Head coach must make the call .The more pitchers ,the better.If the other assistants are just standing around then the head coach needs to plan a better practice using stations and each coach would man that station for at least one hour.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Just a word of advice even in this situation, always have a 24 hour rule. Typically emotions are too high right afterwords.

Mar 11, 2009
You can quit and start your own team, then final decesion will be yours, you can stick around and accept what you know will happen again(cuz it sounds like HC will do the same thing again) and help the girls, or move to the bleachers and let your dd play on same team....You might like it there until you get tired of hearing one or some parents complaining, then you will move your chair to the outfield and watch from there....I say stay in the dugout and keep suggesting the right things to the HC and maybe someday it will sink in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32