Serena Williams and Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As you may know, Serena went nuts over a foot fault call by a referee, and chewed her out. The referee did make a bad call, but athletes should be respectful of the officials.

Her tirade went on for about 60 seconds. Video of Serena's tirade. While her actions were inexcusable, at least it was understandable. The US Open prize money for 1st place is $1.6 million, plus a new Lexus.

On the other hand, I've seen much worse at 12U rec league softball games--where I believe the amount of money at stake is much less than $1.6 million.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't play tennis, so tell me - Why do they have to be so very close to the serving line?
And I suppose that could be judged electronically, if you touch the line - buzzzzzzz!

John MacEnroe (sp) used to do so much worse, almost every match.

But threatening to shove the ball down that young lady's throat was pretty serious.

May 12, 2008
I don't think Mac ever went that far. Even his commentary on the tirade was she went over the line. Then she issued a non apology apology before finally coming up with a decent apology. It's a different world we live in.

Jun 6, 2009
I don't think Mac ever went that far. Even his commentary on the tirade was she went over the line. Then she issued a non apology apology before finally coming up with a decent apology. It's a different world we live in.

That was the part that got me, either apologize or don't. It would have been more entertaining if she had shoved the ball down the line judges throat though. I kid :D

Here are some of the Mac's tirades....You make the call.

YouTube - McEnroe tantrums

May 12, 2008
Mac was frequent but I don't recall him ever threatening physical violence. I'll check that video when I'm not at work and I stand to be corrected. Since I was never a big tennis fan I could be completely wrong on this one. And now Mac is making a bunch of money parodying his temper in commercials. Go figure.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been reading where foot fault is almost never called at this level. I guess it is like "illegal pitch" in softball. :)

But $1.6 million? Wow.

That poor little line judge.

Jun 22, 2008
Oh, but she really got fined for it. A whole $10,500.00. Which of the 1.6 million comes to a whopping 0.66%. Take into consideration her endorsements and all the other tournaments she makes money at and its so miniscule its not even worth talking about.

Officials are there to do their job and enforce the rules regardless of what name may be out there and shouldnt have to put up with that kind of crap from anyone. Larger fines that actually hurt the pocket book and suspensions would get some attention.

Feb 16, 2009
Mark H - yes it would. Intimidation/threats of physical violence to really an authority figure - you bet. If my child in school were to be blamed for something he didn't do in class, and if my child were to threaten to take his pencil and shove it down his teacher's throat, because he disapproved of her interpretation of the situation, do you think he would get suspended? In a heartbeat. As a tennis player and fan of the game, my belief is that the Williams sisters have never shown a respect for the game, its past players or even its future players. It's all about them.

May 12, 2008
I'm thinking if I threatened someone like that I might be posting bail and washing ink off my fingerprints?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves