SELF toss...How many of you are having your daughters work this in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Self toss hitting?

• Yes, we cycle it in.

• Crap, kinda forgot about it.

• Nope, haven't even thought to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Watch my vid, she's gotten it down with her regular bat!🤗
I have to ask, how old do you think the person in this drill is? When you already know the proper mechanics it's easy to come up with a drill that mimics the proper way to do something. And I will add this about self toss, half the battle is tossing the ball in the right spot.

Dec 11, 2010
Trey is pretty adamant about how high you toss. Look at how height the kid in his video tosses. Thats what he wants.

One of the best hitters I have ever been around lived on a golf course when she was very young. Her and her dad would pick up gobs of golf balls, he would sell the good ones but they would have contests with the bad ones. Self toss. “Hit that tree. Hit it over that tree”. Etc etc. She was a wickedly good 2 strike hitter in college. She would put the sweet spot on the ball and the ball would fly.

Dec 11, 2010
Self toss is destructive, just like every other drill.

It teaches you to swing without striding. IOW, it reinforces opening up.

Why do we insist on using drills that do not IMPROVE our swing?
I insist on only hitting live pitchers from exactly regulation distance. Speed and movement MUST be within 5-10% window of what the player will see in the next game. Eyeroll.

I bet if you polled very hitter at Oklahoma, approximately 0% haven't done “destructive drills”.

Dec 2, 2019
My daughter does it just to screw around sometimes. She also does the trick of balancing the ball on the end of the bat and then tipping the bat and hitting the ball. I figure if softball doesn't work out maybe she can join the circus.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I insist on only hitting live pitchers from exactly regulation distance. Speed and movement MUST be within 5-10% window of what the player will see in the next game. Eyeroll.

I bet if you polled very hitter at Oklahoma, approximately 0% haven't done “destructive drills”.
Exactly how do you do this? Can you pitch from 43 ft. and throw 55 to 65 mph?
Also, I will take your bet. I am sure hitters at OK have done drills you might find "destructive". Gasso talks about his players swinging (Happy Gilmore style) hit sticks (those long yellow plastic sticks with a ball on the end) into a punching bag. That has to qualify as a destructive drill.

Aug 20, 2017
Just shot this video from yesterday, when we were in the tunnel. "She likes to review what she's focusing on during certain drills"

We started the tunnel yesterday with tee, doing 10 to contact, 15 extensions, then full swings while moving the tee around multiple spots for a couple buckets. Then went to this self toss for a bucket, then to front toss for the rest of the time. I do check blast info off and on for plane and attack angles while we are there, but mostly just track front toss or against live pitching sessions with blast.

Watching this would make me avoid doing self toss. It is reinforcing some flaws. Mostly caused by rushing the swing. Doing it for fun May be ok but I don’t see what they are learning. JMHO

Dec 11, 2010
Exactly how do you do this? Can you pitch from 43 ft. and throw 55 to 65 mph?
Also, I will take your bet. I am sure hitters at OK have done drills you might find "destructive". Gasso talks about his players swinging (Happy Gilmore style) hit sticks (those long yellow plastic sticks with a ball on the end) into a punching bag. That has to qualify as a destructive drill.
Sorry man, I was being sarcastic. It's my superpower.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I have to ask, how old do you think the person in this drill is? When you already know the proper mechanics it's easy to come up with a drill that mimics the proper way to do something. And I will add this about self toss, half the battle is tossing the ball in the right spot.
It's my daughter, turned 12 a few months ago.

I like the self toss as you can work reaction, eye discipline, adjusting to the ball, knowing when to take, hand eye coordination, etc. It's just another tool for us to mix in...Do we do it every time? No, but we include it maybe twice a week, for a bucket either with her instructor or myself when we hit the tunnel work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414