SELF toss...How many of you are having your daughters work this in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Self toss hitting?

• Yes, we cycle it in.

• Crap, kinda forgot about it.

• Nope, haven't even thought to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I know things can get a little dippy at times on this drill. Because she uses her dominant hand the bat may not always get to the best angle and be dippy...I know Trey likes to use the other hand with this drill but said both hands are used in most cases across instructors, coaches, and whatnot. Mostly use it for reaction, hand eye coordination, body control, ball dicipline for not swinging outside of zone... It's not easy.

Bigger picture, she snaps/slots properly in normal swinging mechanics. Plane and attack angels are very consistent as well from instructor video review and blast info feedback.
And what does Blast say about her self toss swings?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
And what does Blast say about her self toss swings?
I'd have turn on when recording them or look or do the manual upload...I normally just toggIe hot for front toss and live pitching sessions data as a baseline. Then review/save and send data to instructor as well.

I know after that self toss, we went to front toss for another 30-40 minutes. Averaged 67 plane, high was 77, average attack angle was 11. On plane efficiency was solid as well as connection at impact, also pretty good early connection averages. I need her to hit a growth spurt for the power/rotation g data power metrics side, as it grades the 12-14 yr window against the pool data... annnnd she just sized up batwise in November to 31 -10.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
I'm right handed. I usually hit infield righty, but I mostly bat lefty whenever I play softball/baseball).

I thought I was the only knucklehead who did this…

DD’s HS team has been having “Captain’s Practices” the last few weeks. None of the girls can hit self-toss. They usually wind up having someone side toss for them or just hitting off of a tee during fielding practice.

I don’t think there’s much mechanically to be gained from self toss, but there’s some hand-eye coordination and timing involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It teaches you to swing without striding. IOW, it reinforces opening up.

Though a stride is in no way necessary for a swing to be a good swing, I stride every single time I do self toss. I don't actually see how it teaches you to swing without striding. How are you doing self toss?

Edit: I saw your reply to someone else in a subsequent post.

I think maybe you just have seen a lot of people do self toss poorly.

If you're really doing self toss to work on a swing and not just hitting grounders or whatever, you should toss the ball while already loaded/coiled. The knob of the bat should be pointed toward the catcher when you toss the ball (which is why if you use the top hand to toss, you're doing it wrong).

I am certain I do not have perfect swing mechanics, but they're pretty OK. My self toss swing is the same as my actual swing.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
You are actually swinging and opening your hips (like every video in this thread) vs striding and coiling your hips inward (before the swing). You don't have time to do a proper stride, so you end up butchering your swing.

I'm not opposed to being wrong, but I'd have to video myself to get on board with that description.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Regardless of the drill, the coach/instructor must be able to communicate the purpose of the drill and be able to assess how a hitter does the drill. The drills I have the team I help coach do are drills that, for me, are time proven. When we do the self-toss, hitters are to hit like their at-bats. I stride when I hit fungoes. We have goals starting with an orange line on the cage and explain the flight of the ball per how high the ball hits the net.

As a coach, you then need to figure out what players need which drills. Do you set up standard stations and then have a station where hitters are told that when they reach these portions of our hitting rotation, they work on specific drills geared toward their development? For us, the self toss in a standard station and we do not deviate from it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would say this: The players that struggle with self toss, tend to struggle in general. Athletes figure it out how to do it relatively quickly. Very similar to players that say they cant hit off a machine usually are not very good hitters. Good hitters can hit a rock with a stick.

Oct 26, 2019
I'm sorry, I meant the Trey Hannam one hand swing video.

I looked at the video of your daughter though, and I see a bit of the 'level swing' bat head drop in there. This is a major reason why I don't like to have kids hit off a high tee, it encourages them to drop the bat head (to swing level), and it sometimes leads to 'bat drag'. I would like to see what happens if you ask your daughter to let the ball drop down to 'low strike' level for contact.

One trick I use when watching regular speed video is to go into settings and slow the playback speed down to .25.
I’m interested in the reasoning behind your high tee comment. I see high tee as helping eliminate bat drag. If you drop the bat head and swing “level” the ball is almost certain to be popped up. I have always seen high tee done to help eliminate bat drag and barrel dropping. I’ve never heard anyone say it promotes it. Curious to hear your thoughts or if you have a video example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802