SELF toss...How many of you are having your daughters work this in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Self toss hitting?

• Yes, we cycle it in.

• Crap, kinda forgot about it.

• Nope, haven't even thought to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
My daughter turned 12 a couple months ago. I know our instructor really works it in and we cycle it in when we hit the tunnels as well. I'm really interested in seeing how many of us parents, have daughters adding this drill into their hitting workouts?

May 27, 2013
I’m assuming you mean when the batter tosses the ball straight up and then hits the ball, correct? If so, dd does it all the time at her summer side gig as an instructor. She has to be able to hit balls to her students during fielding drills. She also does it for her college team during captain’s practices in the fall.

Jan 25, 2022
I think it's beneficial. The kids are always in awe that we coaches can do it, because it's brutal when they try it themselves. I may have my kid start doing it. She was getting better last time we fooled with it. She needs some reaction work for sure.

The real question is, do you toss with your dominant hand, or your non dominant?? I'd like to see that poll as well.

Jun 8, 2016
If you are going to do it, do it in a Happy Gilmore/walk-through fashion to promote some rhythm in the swing.

If the kid likes to do it, then do it because...the kid enjoys it. Unlike some of you, I don't think there is any panacea set of drills to turn your kid into Barry Bonds/Jocelyn Alo. Would be better off choosing your mating partner better...

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I’m assuming you mean when the batter tosses the ball straight up and then hits the ball, correct? If so, dd does it all the time at her summer side gig as an instructor. She has to be able to hit balls to her students during fielding drills. She also does it for her college team during captain’s practices in the fall.
Correct, having them self toss and hit the ball themselves, reaction, timing, taking their own pitch, working line drives, some will set target spots up, etc. We find it beneficial...got me wondering and thought I'd put the question lit there. She's gotten damn good at it and thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I think it's beneficial. The kids are always in awe that we coaches can do it, because it's brutal when they try it themselves. I may have my kid start doing it. She was getting better last time we fooled with it. She needs some reaction work for sure.

The real question is, do you toss with your dominant hand, or your non dominant?? I'd like to see that poll as well.
The toss hand question, MY QUESTION AS WELL!!....I've honestly seen it done by both hands over different instructors and coaches. I actually asked Trey that randomly on one of his twitter feeds, he said bottom hand so bat stays back in his opinion, but many use top hand as well as most trainers. It can be done both ways, just work on getting bat into proper position. My daughter has gotten used to using her top hand and it's her dominant. I'll try to upload a video of one of her recent ones.
When throwing front toss at the field and she finishes the bucket and its time to collect up the balls, have her hit the balls that went to right field in while you shag the rest of them. I builds eye hand coordination, rhythm and its fun.
I love this idea of hitting em back in! 🍻👍👍

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My daughter turned 12 a couple months ago. I know our instructor really works it in and we cycle it in when we hit the tunnels as well. I'm really interested in seeing how many of us parents, have daughters adding this drill into their hitting workouts?
Did they start her with a full size bat and ball? Or is it easier to learn with a one-handed swing with a light training bat or a tennis racket?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
She does the small bat work with one hand off tee bat path work, cycling between left and right after so many, and then with front toss...but all her self toss work is her and her bat in workouts and when we do tunnels.

We got practice soon, Ill try to grab some she was doing yesterday after...she likes video to review and check on things she's making adjustments to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom