Scoring clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I was scoring DDs game yesterday and had this.

R1 on second, B1 hits a grounder to the gap. R1 runs into the ball. I know the runner is out. How is the at bat scored? It looked like it would of gone through had the runner not kicked it. It was the third out to end the inning.

Another person said it was fielders choice but I thought it should be scored a hit with a running error on the R1.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If the official scorer judges the batted ball would have been a hit, the batter is credited with a base hit, but if not, it is scored as a fielder’s choice. ( NCAA rules quote )

That's the way I would score it, not sure if I'm 100% correct.

Jun 22, 2010
ASA has it as a fielder's choice:

Section 3. A BASE HIT shall not be scored:
D. When a batter reaches first base safely as a result of a preceding runner being called out for interfering with a batted or thrown ball, or with a defensive player.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Interesting, that is the exact opposite of baseball scoring. It is always rulled a base hit in baseball scoring. It is the final answer to the baseball trivia question of how you can get 6 hits in a inning without scoring a run.

Good to know the difference for future reference in softball.

Oct 24, 2010
Interesting, that is the exact opposite of baseball scoring. It is always rulled a base hit in baseball scoring. It is the final answer to the baseball trivia question of how you can get 6 hits in a inning without scoring a run.

Good to know the difference for future reference in softball.
Bzzzt!
OBR 10.05 BASE HITS b) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a: (5) runner is called out for interference with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball, unless in the scorer’s judgment the batter-runner would have been safe had the interference not occurred.

I.E. Scorer's judgement. ASA scoring rules are the least comprehensive that can be found. Better to use NFHS or NCAA.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Ok, so I looked up the Pony rules which is what we usually play and they state the Batter runner gets first AND it is scored a hit with no judgement or presumption of the it being a hit with out the interference. I'd copy it but the PDF won't let me.. it's found in Sec 8j-k pg 91.

Jun 22, 2010
I have this vague recollection of being told that the PONY rule (ruling it a hit) used to be the ASA rule, but they changed it because some pitcher lost a no-hitter because of it. Maybe MTR knows what I'm talking about, or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :D

And I'm pretty sure the baseball rule used to be "always a hit" as Sweet Lou mentioned, but they changed it somewhat recently, because I thought exactly the same thing before I looked it up.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Bzzzt!
OBR 10.05 BASE HITS b) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a: (5) runner is called out for interference with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball, unless in the scorer’s judgment the batter-runner would have been safe had the interference not occurred.

I.E. Scorer's judgement. ASA scoring rules are the least comprehensive that can be found. Better to use NFHS or NCAA.

wow, I wonder if that changed at some point. that's not how I remember it but you are dead on, that is from the official mlb rules on scoring.

Oct 24, 2010
wow, I wonder if that changed at some point. that's not how I remember it but you are dead on, that is from the official mlb rules on scoring.
There was a reorganization of the rules somewhere between 2006-2008. From 2006: 10.06 A base hit shall not be scored in the following cases: (e) When a runner is called out for interference with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball, unless in the scorer's judgement the batter-runner would have been safe had the interference not occurred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00