Scorekeeping issues:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In #1 since no one is covering 1st, I'd rule a 1B. Had 2B been there for throw I'd have ruled sac-bunt (assuming I didn't think batter would have beat it out). RBI in either case.

In #2 was R1 thrown out at 3rd? If so 1B and advance to 2nd on throw, if all safe 2B.

In #3 2B all the way - if the ground or wall jar a ball loose or fielder has to dive for ball that is NOT routine effort

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
OK, I'll give it a stab:

1. Single
2. Single, reached 2nd on the throw. This is assuming that the CF had the ball in her hand as the runner was rounding first, maybe 1/4 of the way to 2nd.
3. Double. The CF made a diving play, keeping the ball in front of her body. Maybe it would have been a single if she had stood back, but maybe it would have been a triple if she hadn't knocked the ball down.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
1. Single.
2. Double, unless you know the BR to be a notoriously slow runner who would not have been able to achieve 2B without the throw going where it went.
3. Double.

Mar 31, 2014
I posted this topic on one of the websites I moderate but thought it would be ok to post here as well.

1st scenario:

Runner on 3rd. One out. #4 batter hitting. Squeeze play. Ball is bunted down, pitcher fields ball, flips to catcher but really no play. No one expected this hitter to bunt let alone squeeze. 2B is caught off guard and does not even cover first base.

How do you rule this for the hitter?

Second scenario:

Runner on 1st. #4 hits ball off of fence in left center gap. R1 rounds 2b and heads for 3b. Hitter heads for 2B and does not break stride. CF throws ball to cut which is aligned with 3B.

How do you score this?

3rd Scenario:

Hitter #4 hits a screaming line drive up the middle and sinking. CF charges in and dives for the ball. Ball is in glove but comes out on contact with the ground. Hitter ends up at 2B.

How do you score this.
1. Fielders choice runners advance on sacrifice
2. single and batter takes second on throw
3.double

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Single, double, double. I didn't hear any info that would lead me to believe there was a "routine" play or an error in there. Also doesn't appear there was a play possible at first base for the FC either. Also, if CF dives for ball in #3, and ball goes under the glove and all the way to the fence, that could be ruled a Homerun and not an error.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I posted this topic on one of the websites I moderate but thought it would be ok to post here as well.

1st scenario:

Runner on 3rd. One out. #4 batter hitting. Squeeze play. Ball is bunted down, pitcher fields ball, flips to catcher but really no play. No one expected this hitter to bunt let alone squeeze. 2B is caught off guard and does not even cover first base.

How do you rule this for the hitter?

Did the fielder even look to first base for an out? If not, I'd rule it a sacrifice if I believed the batter would've been out. Fact that F4 was not covering would result in a hit IF the defense looked to make a play there and IF that was the reason she was safe, IMO.

Second scenario:

Runner on 1st. #4 hits ball off of fence in left center gap. R1 rounds 2b and heads for 3b. Hitter heads for 2B and does not break stride. CF throws ball to cut which is aligned with 3B.

How do you score this?

Double. If it's thrown to 3B, and you judge that is the reason for the advancement to second, then it's a single and advance on the throw. But if it's thrown to cut, then it's a double, IMO.

3rd Scenario:

Hitter #4 hits a screaming line drive up the middle and sinking. CF charges in and dives for the ball. Ball is in glove but comes out on contact with the ground. Hitter ends up at 2B.

How do you score this.

Double.

Jun 7, 2013
Colorado
I'm a bit new to scorekeeping, so I'll just document what I would have scored at my current level of knowledge, and hopefully learn something useful!

1. Sacrifice Bunt (I don't think there is a fielder's choice option in this situation; the batter would have been out if the pitcher had made the decision to throw to 1B; I don't think the question of whether 1B was covered is relevant unless that is the reason the pitcher went to the catcher to begin with, but I'm not sure)

2. Double, runner advanced by batter; UNLESS it was obvious that the CF could have made the throw to 2B in time to catch the batter, in which case single, reached 2B on throw

3. Double, runner advanced by batter

I happily await debate on this, I always enjoy learning how to be a better scorekeeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207