Scorebook Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
How would you score this play for the scorebook: A batter hits a shot over the right- fielders head. The ball rolls until it hits the fence. Right fielder throws the ball to F4 who catches the ball approx. 15 feet in the outfield grass. The batter approaches 3rd base and rounds the bag. F4 throws the ball into the pitcher who catches it with her back to the runner at 3rd. The catcher was backing up the throw to the pitcher and was close to the pitching circle. The batter alertly sees that no one is covering home and scores. Is this a home run or a triple? There were no physical errors on the defense. The game was 14-U. Thanks,D'E

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Great question. I'm going to 'guess' that it is a triple - but it might depend on whether the batter was going for a HR all the way, or whether she paused at 3B and seized an opportunity.

Failure to cover a base is not an error. I do know that. Example: Batter bunts up the first base line, 3F fields, 4F fails to cover, batter who 'should've' been out is safe. Base hit.

But the difference in the example above is that the batter doesn't have to try for home. It's her choice, and the original choice might decide the answer here. If she was going for home all the way, then I might say HR, that she beat the defense's errorless efforts to get her out. But if she slowed down into third, or rounded third and paused, then saw nobody covering home, then I'd say it's a triple. I would consider it the same as if a batter got a hit to RF, rounded first and stopped, drew a threw back to 1B and took off for second. That would be a single, not a double.

So my 'guess' is that it would be a scorekeeper judgment as to the intent of the batter - was she going going for the HR all the way, or was she taking the triple, looking for an excuse to go home.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah