Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Lets say one player has a verbal agreement to this school and coach their junior year. But then this coach scouts this other athlete who is ... better. Not just a little better but could more than likely potentially be a powerhouse in his line up that he desperately needs and is more worthy of the scholarship. Will the coach be obligated to tell the first player that the deal is off? If you were the coach how would you handle the situation? Would this be stealing someone's scholarship? If you were the first player how would you feel? If you were the second player how would you fell? Has this ever happened that you know of? all of this is hypothetical ofcourse I was just wondering. As for me if I were the 2nd player I would feel really really bad.

Dec 28, 2008
My thoughts are that a verbal offer is a representation of the coaches honor. If they make an offer and do rescind it, that demonstrates a serious lack of integrity that I think would send a clear message to everyone else, and the first player.

The second player should already know that she probably isn't the #1 player in the world, and already be working hard enough to become that person. If the coach does rescind the offer on her she should feel blessed to find out now, that this coach wasn't the kind of coach that she would want to look up to for 20-30 hours a week for 4 straight years. Then go and out and spank them year after year.

In the bigger picture the life lesson resonate in her for the rest of her life that if you give your word, you back it up.

IMO I think that too many college coaches rely on getting their players from the same travel ball team their current players were on. In reading many D1 players bios on their websites I noticed that many came from the same travel ball teams are players that have graduated. I think they just pick the best 3 off of prestigous softball travel teams and verbals them too quickly before really recruiting from all states. That girl might play on the best softball travel team in California but their might be a girl in Texas who lives in an area where their softball travel teams aren't that great but you come to find out in Texas (where you didn't look) was your oppurtunity to take your team to the next level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez