Safe haven and catcher training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
So many things in life and softball depend on who you're talking to and who is doing the teaching. My goal is to make sure that my knowledge of the ASA rules and my understanding of their application is rock solid.

In instance #2 yesterday, the umpire told both coaches to warn our batters about leaving the box before the catcher had made her throw. In the explanation he gave, catchers are taught to move to the left behind the batter to make their throw down to 2B (or on a throw back to the P who might be looking for a possible pick-off) and that if a right-handed batter steps back out of the box, they would most likely be guilty of interference. He also stated that "the batter's box is theirs - if they stay in in, they can NEVER be guilty of interference".

I'm going to ask DD's catching coach about this tomorrow, but my understanding was that on a throw to 2B, the catcher is supposed to step directly forward towards 2B with the throw. I've never heard her say anything with respect to lateral movement prior to that throw.

On a throw to 3B, she has been taught to stand and fire right down the 3B line.

It was also my understanding that the BB was not a guaranteed safe haven, that depending upon the play, a batter could possibly commit interference.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Holy cow! On what planet does this umpire claim residency? Throws to 2B and return throws to the pitcher should be straight forward (literally and figuratively) - the catcher steps straight on a line toward the plate-P-2B as there's no batter or batter's box to worry about. Unless its an outside pitch and the catcher can throw in front of the batter, C should be taught to use a drop step to clear the batter and throw behind them on throws to 3B w/ a righty batter and pick offs to first w/ a lefty batter. There's an open lane on throws to 3B and 1B w/ lefty and righty batters, respectively.

The safe haven concept sounds better for off-shore investments than it does for any rule set under which earthly softball is played.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It was also my understanding that the BB was not a guaranteed safe haven, that depending upon the play, a batter could possibly commit interference.

The rule used to be that a batter in the box must have intentionally interferred with the catcher and/or throw. With ASA's wholesale removal of "intent" on INT plays, that went away. However, to avoid a beaning war, the change concerning the batter included "actively hinder" the catcher's ability to make a play or throw. That basically means if the batter is doing nothing more than they are supposed to do, recovering from a swing or their stance, it is not INT if the catcher hits them with the ball (sound familiar?). But if the batter makes any move or action not associated with the recovery, intentional or not, they may be called for INT even if they are still in the box. So, if the catcher knows where the batter is standing, s/he has a good idea of where to move to make and complete the throw.

The umpire probably thought he was helping, but in fact, imparting some bad information.

Jul 21, 2008
How would this relate to right handed batter and runner stealing 3rd or pick off attemt at 3rd. If batter backs out of box into the throwing lane of catcher. I can never get this call unless catcher makes contact with batter.

If contact is made between catcher/batter when batter backs out of box and catcher is attempting to throw to 3rd base is that automatic INT?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
How would this relate to right handed batter and runner stealing 3rd or pick off attemt at 3rd. If batter backs out of box into the throwing lane of catcher. I can never get this call unless catcher makes contact with batter.

Don't know what to tell you other than find umpires who know the rules and are not afraid to apply them.

If contact is made between catcher/batter when batter backs out of box and catcher is attempting to throw to 3rd base is that automatic INT?

Nothing is automatic. But if there was a play in which the umpire judged the defense could have made an out, sounds like a good possibity it could be INT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32