Running Times for a Young Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I agree, what difference does it make at that age. Worry about fundamentals
as the catchers aren't real strong until you reach 12U. Make sure they run the right way
and teach them to slide at this level

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Getting them to run thru the base seems to be the biggest challenge I see at this age. Them stopping on right on the base effects their time to 1st more than how actually fast they are running.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree with the post above, but I will try to answer your question. I try to time it from the when the batter swings and drops the bat. The main thing is that you time them all the same. You can line them up at home plate, if you want.

At 8 YOs, 3.5 would be fairly fast. But, you will know your fast girls. They stand out. As they reach late teens 2.6 is about as fast as it gets and isn't found very often.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
At 8 YOs, 3.5 would be fairly fast. But, you will know your fast girls. They stand out. As they reach late teens 2.6 is about as fast as it gets and isn't found very often.

Last night I timed the girls. Average time at 60 ft was 4.5 sec. I had a couple of 5's and one 4.3.

Like someone mentioned earlier, yes, getting them to run through the base is tough too! LOL

Apr 8, 2010
Warriormike, Can they beat you? :)

and the gauntlet has been thrown!

i agree...getting them to run thru first is hard at that age. they got the rounding concept pretty good, but i think there is a fear of getting out if they pass first on a run thru.

we're having a team evaluation this weekend, and running times will be taken. i'll post some info next week.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it is a little odd to worry about the time from home to 1st for a bunch of 8U kids?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06