Running Times for a Young Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
NOt to hi jack this thread but, I was going to ask the same question. I don't feel much differently about strength and conditioning at times. I believe it's important, don't get me wrong but I'm coaching a U14 team. I have a catcher who can't catch or throw anyone out at second and a pitcher who missed the stike zone way too much this fall. They both do strength and conditioning twice a week. Yet the pitcher isn't throwing enough and the catcher should be in catching lessons. And all kids should be hitting first before any strength and conditioning (i'm talkng about girls in good physical shape). Softball skills should be the the primary focus at these levels.

Oct 18, 2009
I don't think it's too early to time them for a baseline and as you help them to improve their running you and they will see the time get lower.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it is a little odd to worry about the time from home to 1st for a bunch of 8U kids?

Why does speed fundamentals odd? So should we not worry about 8u girls challenging themselves to be better. All I asked is what a average time should be at. I would like to know if my girls are above or below average.

To answer Amy's question, yes I run with my girls and as of now they cant beat me yet LOL

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Now I am curious about my DD speed, when do you start and stop the timer? I am going to time it.

I think she will have an OK time, not great , but OK. Her legs are going 200mph and she does not seem to go anywhere. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Steph, Mrslug, thanks...just wondering. I'll go back to counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire now.

Softball skills should be the the primary focus at these levels.

The primary focus of my practices at 8U was "focusing"...but hey, that is just me.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
The primary focus of my practices at 8U was "focusing"...but hey, that is just me.

I coach girls slightly older than this (I have 7 and 8 year olds) and I agree with this.

Softball skills you need to be focusing on are throwing, catching and batting. How fast they run to first? Irrelevant. They need to be taught how to properly run the bases first. Which means, running through first and home and stopping on 2nd and 3rd. Also teach them how to lead (I LOVE this part. It's so hard not to be laughing when the girls are couting the three steps and then then delibratly turning to the pitcher) The only speed part you need to worry about is them running as fast as they can. My biggest issue right now is getting the girls to stop hopskotching on the bases ;)

These are 6 and 7 year old's. The point of the game is for them to be taught the basic skills and to have FUN. Having girls that are barely out of toddlerdom running bases and timing them is taking it to extremes.

May 25, 2010
Why does speed fundamentals odd? So should we not worry about 8u girls challenging themselves to be better. All I asked is what a average time should be at. I would like to know if my girls are above or below average.

2nd answer: 'they're average'

The challenge with 7-8-9yos is to get all of them to give 100% effort on every play.

Feb 6, 2009
Odd or not, it doesn't matter. Any time wasted timing them could have been used teaching them softball.

To answer Amy's question, yes I run with my girls and as of now they cant beat me yet LOL

Feb 6, 2009
Lol
But that doesn't change much as they get older
Steph, Mrslug, thanks...just wondering. I'll go back to counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire now.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06