Runner hit by batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The runner was running to second base got hit with a batted ball. She wasn’t close to either the 1st baseman or the second baseman who was breaking to second to cover the steal. Home plate umpire called her out. The base umpire who was behind ss reversed the call. Because he said the first baseman was positioned in front of first, he said it didn’t matter that she wasn’t involved in the play.

OK.. so you are saying that you feel that no infielder had a chance to make the play before the ball hit the runner and the umpire either doesn't know the rule correctly or made a bad judgement

Your version sounds like the 1B was not in the play but was the one the umpire identified as the player the ball passed - and if that is what happened then the umpire doesn't know the rule correctly - and apparently neither do you. This is just not a good call.

If he thought the 1B has a play or EVEN if the 2B had a play but abandoned her position for what becomes a non-existent steal I would need to actually see the play and know where every player involved was to make a judgement call.

That has nothing to do with the actual rule being bad. Or being different in softball than baseball (which it isn't) or anything else.

As for calling baserunner safe after being hit by a batted ball - sure. I made the call at least 3 or 4 times in the last 12 months. Pretty straightforward call in most cases because it is generally pretty obvious that an infielder was in front of the runner and either whiffed on the ball or it came off the infielder and onto the runner. In one case the SS tripped over when she got wrongfooted by a bad bounce. 1 of the calls was made in a HS baseball game.

And dude - the name calling and other reactions are uncalled for. It sounds like you got a bad call. It happens. I am sorry you expected everyone to immediately agree with you even though you were wrong about the rule and the call.

If it was exactly as you are saying - the umpire didn't understand the rule. If you take the time to actually listen to what Comp, MTR and others are saying and learn, next time it happens if you think it is important enough you can get your cash out and protest.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is the most entertaining rules posting ever! MCuculich: I bet you believe "the rule" tie goes to the runner. Please stick around as I think you have a lot to offer the this forum. This site is very informative and entertaining on so many levels.

Curious to know, maybe you said it in your OP but too many Gin and Tonics to go look, what age level are you referring to? Please say 10U Rec. I have money riding on your answer.

Aug 26, 2018
Thanks Marriad. I know the call was wrong. There was no fielder interference. Not everything is black and white and requires some sort of umpire judgement. You’re right, the umpire didn’t know the rule correctly.

Jun 22, 2008
The name calling started clear back on post number 3, but nice try. And I have yet to see any of your descriptions of the play that would indicate the call was wrong. The last post I saw was F3 was playing slightly in front of the base and F4 was breaking for 2nd to cover the steal. So the ball had passed an infielder and apparently the umpire judged no other fielder has the possibility of making an out. Exactly how is the call wrong?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
14-u PGF there Orange. The big time?

Dang! I lose.

Wait. Platinum or Premier? Was the UIC called over? PGF is the biggest of Big Tyne! Per my earlier post, my DD infraction happened at the 18U Jo Cup. Point being...bad calls, misinterpretation of bad calls happen all the time whether it's in your favor or not. I was the guy booing the umpires in the shade at St. Louis. Yep that was me! It was all in fun.

I saw a horrible call even using reply in the LL WS over the weekend. I am yelling at the TV, how can you miss it in slow motion?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The name calling started clear back on post number 3, but nice try. And I have yet to see any of your descriptions of the play that would indicate the call was wrong. The last post I saw was F3 was playing slightly in front of the base and F4 was breaking for 2nd to cover the steal. So the ball had passed an infielder and apparently the umpire judged no other fielder has the possibility of making an out. Exactly how is the call wrong?

Yeah, he is not describing it well - in fact it took about 20 posts before he even discussed what happened - but I think I have it.

It is a standard batted ball hit a runner going from 1st to 2nd call or 2nd-3rd.

- 1B is playing where they normally are - someplace around or in front of 1B
- Let's say 2B & SS are behind the baselines and 3B is 10' up the 3B line toward home.
- Batter hits the a hard grounder towards 2B which hits the runner going from 1st to 2nd.

Call is straight forward - runner is out. Positioning of 1B or 3B doesn't matter. If it did matter, baserunners would always be safe from a batted ball going to 2nd or 3rd because 1B and 3B are always going to be 'infront' of the runner.

In this case the umpire claimed that the positioning of the 1B mattered even though they are nowhere near the batted ball (or at least that was what was said). It is a bad reading of the rule. I understand that - the first time I read it I was like "what?" but it is clarified in various cases etc, etc (and in years of examples of the call being made).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1