Runner hit by batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I know of no case plays that would say otherwise on how the umpire called this play based on the rule and any case play I am aware of. F3 was playing up and I fully understand the ball was not hit toward f3. But f4 was also not playing the ball and had vacated their position to cover 2nd. Why are we even talking about f5 and f6, the ball was not hit that direction and they have no bearing on anything having to do with this play. The ball had passed an infielder, f3 and apparently the umpire judged no other fielder had the opportunity to make an out. The is absolutely the correct call.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The rule you just posted says if a ball strikes a runner before a fielder touches it they are out. Doesn’t say anything about going past a fielder 15 feet away

That's correct. But the point remains the same, it is the runner's responsibility to avoid being hit by the ball. Today's rule is more forgiving.

BTW, the dumbest rule in softball (FP) is the LBR

Nov 29, 2009
Thank you, most of these replies are probably from umpires who have nothing better to do. It was the wrong call, I only wanted clarification and people got defensive ����.

It was the wrong call in your judgement. It was not the wrong call in the judgement of the only person who counts. The person who has no dog in the fight. The umpire. For some reason you can't get passed it. What type of tournament was this? I can't believe it was a qualifier or other type of tournament that had long term implications. It is fall and there's not much going on at this time of the year. Pretty much teams are playing for a trophy and not much else other that to see where they are at and making plans for the winter.

Several years ago I watched a really strong HS team get eliminated from the post season on a really crazy call. Runner on 3rd. Tie game. A pitcher threw a dropball that hit the front edge of the plate. The ball bounced up and over the backstop. The runner on 3rd scored. She ended up being the winning run.

Had an umpire call a ball fair that my SS made an unsuccessful diving attempt at by the left field line. The ball was 2 feet foul, but he ruled it fair due to the SS's feet were in fair territory when she touched it. It almost cost us the game because a run scored on the play. To his credit he came up to me after the tournament and said he made a mistake on the call.

I've been around the game for over 25 years with my DD playing and then coaching with no DD on the team. I've witnessed all kinds of crazy stuff on the field. You're getting WAY to wound up about a call that didn't go your DD's team's way. I guarantee... There will be more over the years.

And I'm not an umpire.

Nov 29, 2009
The runner was running to second base got hit with a batted ball. She wasn’t close to either the 1st baseman or the second baseman who was breaking to second to cover the steal. Home plate umpire called her out. The base umpire who was behind ss reversed the call. Because he said the first baseman was positioned in front of first, he said it didn’t matter that she wasn’t involved in the play.

OK... More info... Something does not fit here. Every time I've seen a runner get hit by a batted ball in front of a fielder the umpire will call "DEAD BALL", raise both hands and then call the runner out. When that happens EVERYTHING on the field is then stopped. All the base runners are returned from the base they started at and the batter is put on first base. So all the play on the field should have ceased when the home plate umpire called her out. It is not a live ball. How did two runs score?

The base umpire can't reverse a call. The home plate umpire may have taken additional information from the FU and changed his call. Irregardless, there should have been no runners moving on the field after the PU called the runner out.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I know of no case plays that would say otherwise on how the umpire called this play based on the rule and any case play I am aware of. F3 was playing up and I fully understand the ball was not hit toward f3. But f4 was also not playing the ball and had vacated their position to cover 2nd. Why are we even talking about f5 and f6, the ball was not hit that direction and they have no bearing on anything having to do with this play. The ball had passed an infielder, f3 and apparently the umpire judged no other fielder had the opportunity to make an out. The is absolutely the correct call.

If F5 & F6 are inconsequential (which I agree with) - then why would you believe F3 consequential? The ball wasn't hit in that direction either. Unless F3 is judged to have an actual play on the ball, they can't be the 'passed' infielder. No passed infielder, runner hit by batted ball. Dead ball, runner out.

If you declare F3 consequential on a ball hit towards F4 then you can ALMOST NEVER call the hit runner out because F3 is 90% of the time going to be fielding closer to home than a runner going from 1st to 2nd. That is just not the case.

If you take the play to the other side (ball hit to F6) - same thing but with F5.

Jun 22, 2008
Where does the rule mention anything about the fielder having to have a play on the ball? The rule only says it has to pass an infielder and no other fielder have the possibility of making an out. And if f4 had vacated their position to cover 2nd on the steal then they had no play on the ball either. The requirements of the rule were met, the ball had passed an infielder and the umpire apparently judged no other fielder had the possibility of making an out. Based on his judgement the call was completely correct.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Comp is correct. The original poster made his case when he said 1b was up in front of the bag & 2b vacated to cover the steal. I'm not sure why we are still discussing this.

Aug 26, 2018
My last post, I promise. Like Marriad said there will never be an out in fastpitch for a batter being hit by batted ball. Every third baseman and first baseman I’ve seen play even or in front of the bag. Is that right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24