Runner hit by batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2018
You sound like a complete idiot. That’s the wrong call. Maybe it’s more of a judgement call than I thought. But I have never seen a runner not called out after being directly hit with a batted ball. Not in baseball, not in slo pitch softball and not in teenage fast pitch.

Aug 26, 2018
Thank you, most of these replies are probably from umpires who have nothing better to do. It was the wrong call, I only wanted clarification and people got defensive ����.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You sound like a complete idiot. That’s the wrong call. Maybe it’s more of a judgement call than I thought. But I have never seen a runner not called out after being directly hit with a batted ball. Not in baseball, not in slo pitch softball and not in teenage fast pitch.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Thank you, most of these replies are probably from umpires who have nothing better to do. It was the wrong call, I only wanted clarification and people got defensive ����.

Comp and MTR are umpires. They both have a long history on this site of demonstrating their deep knowledge of the rules of the game. I think most of the rest of us are coaches and/or parents. As a coach, I'm very interested to continually improve my understanding of the rules.

People who have posted in this thread having nothing better to do has zero correlation to the accuracy of the responses you've received.

Aug 26, 2018
The runner was running to second base got hit with a batted ball. She wasn’t close to either the 1st baseman or the second baseman who was breaking to second to cover the steal. Home plate umpire called her out. The base umpire who was behind ss reversed the call. Because he said the first baseman was positioned in front of first, he said it didn’t matter that she wasn’t involved in the play.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Have you ever seen a runner get hit with a batted ball and them called safe?

No. However, all the examples I have seen have been in front of IFs, so it's not the same situation as the one you have described.

The language of the rule is clear, and has been spelled out numerous times. The umpire on the field applied that rule to the play. Unfortunately, it didn't work out in favor of your DD's team. Get over it, dude...:rolleyes:

Jun 22, 2008
Have you ever seen a runner get hit with a batted ball and them called safe?

Yes I have. I have seen it numerous times at all levels of play and I have called runners safe myself that were hit by batted balls after it had passed an infielder an no other fielder had a chance to make an out. But go ahead and keep complaining about how wrong the rule is, calling people names after you have been shown the rule countless times. You have insisted the rule is different in baseball which it is not and I have provided you with at least 3 different baseball rule sets that all have the same rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi