Runner hit by batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
That’s basically the same thing that happened. The runner was hit while running to 2nd. She didn’t make an attempt to get out of the way. She wasn’t looking at the ball and I know she didn’t run into it intentionally but she should be out. Our first baseman who was I guess standing a little in front of 1st base. No where close to the play was the reason she wasn’t called out. I’m wrong to think she is out?

Where was the second baseman?

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
[USA] 8.7.L The runner is out, when a runner intentionally contacts a fair ball that an infielder missed.

Then you say...

She wasn’t looking at the ball and I know she didn’t run into it intentionally but she should be out.

No, she shouldn't... because as you say she didn't do it intentionally.

Take a deep breath. Your daughter's team wasn't good enough to win, so now you want the rules rewritten so the better team loses. We get it. You're bitter. You came here for others to jump on the bandwagon and support you, but no one else feels like lobbying the softball powers that be to rewrite the rule book. You just keep railing away, but no one agrees with you because you couldn't be more wrong.

The fact that you think we should ignore the written rules for baseball & softball for youtube videos did make me smile, so thanks for that. I saw a youtube video where Bugs Bunny shot a hunter, but I never went on hunting websites to warn hunters of killer rabbits.

You also seem really angry. I suggest you try meditation or maybe get a massage. Fishing can be relaxing. Maybe a nice walk in the woods. That might help you so you don't come off as such a douche when you ask for help on a message board.

Just curious, when you saw the play did you run onto the field to scream at the ump or did others restrain you before you got to the field?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 28, 2015
MTR and Comp,
I looked at the links provided and it is not clear without more context. I am getting more confused so can you describe what is the spirit of the rule?

Example: Bases loaded, 1B and 2B playing up in front of the base path.

1) R1 gets a great jump or lead-off and is in the gap when the grounder hits him/her. 1B and 2B each took 1 step towards the ball but they had no play. If R1 was watching they would have seen the ball.

2) R1 gets a step off the base and is hit by a grounder that skips over 1B glove. R1 could not see the ball or know how 1B would play it.

I am leaning towards the spirit is more about the runner is out unless there is a defender in front of them that makes it difficult to see or judge the ball. The other version is the runner is safe as long as the ball goes past the IF which does not really make sense and would cause more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
MTR and Comp,
I looked at the links provided and it is not clear without more context. I am getting more confused so can you describe what is the spirit of the rule?

Example: Bases loaded, 1B and 2B playing up in front of the base path.

1) R1 gets a great jump or lead-off and is in the gap when the grounder hits him/her. 1B and 2B each took 1 step towards the ball but they had no play. If R1 was watching they would have seen the ball.

2) R1 gets a step off the base and is hit by a grounder that skips over 1B glove. R1 could not see the ball or know how 1B would play it.

I am leaning towards the spirit is more about the runner is out unless there is a defender in front of them that makes it difficult to see or judge the ball. The other version is the runner is safe as long as the ball goes past the IF which does not really make sense and would cause more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that the rule is considerate of both offense and defense.

If a fielder has an attempt at a ball and deflects it in a way that it hits a runner, it is not the runner's fault. If you are playing 2b or SS behind the 'base path' a deflected ball off a runner is not the fielders fault.

We had a game end in a way I have never seen before this summer...

Up by one, tying runner on 3rd, (1st and 2nd were empty) we intentionally walked a batter who was pretty much batting 1000 against us over two games in the tournament, hoping to get the next batter (who had struck out several times). Next batter comes up and rips the first pitch to the 2b position, hitting the batter we had intentionally walked. Game over. Home ump comes over after the game (if you are from Michigan or Ohio, you probably know him as 'Gator') and says, "Bet you young fellows haven't seen that happen before!" He was right...

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
That’s basically the same thing that happened. The runner was hit while running to 2nd. She didn’t make an attempt to get out of the way. She wasn’t looking at the ball and I know she didn’t run into it intentionally but she should be out. Our first baseman who was I guess standing a little in front of 1st base. No where close to the play was the reason she wasn’t called out. I’m wrong to think she is out?

Look if you are arguing that the infielder the umpire judged to have a chance to field the ball actually had no chance to field the ball you have a point and the rule was misapplied. The rule does not mean that if the 3B is playing way in and the ball is going to 2B that it 'passed' the 3B - that is not how it is called. If that is the case then that is the umpires fault for misunderstanding the rule or he misjudged that the fielder could have made the play. But it not the rule's issue or fault.

If your fielder just didn't make a play then it is your fielder's issue.

But otherwise in all rulesets in both softball and baseball you are wrong. It isn't 'different' for softball or a stupid rule. It gives a fielder a chance to field the ball - if they don't that is not the runners fault which makes sense - how is the runner meant to handle a ball the offense has misplayed.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD was ruled out for Runner's Interference while advancing to 2B on a batted ball to 2B. The 2B mishandled the ball on a bad hop. The ball had passed in front my DD and in my and other's opinion she was no where near the play. She did not hesitate or make anyone sudden movements or stopping. The umpire told our coach that she "flailed her arms" which distracted the fielder. Huh? Okay the kid is 5'10" and is not a very graceful runner but to say she "flailed her arms" is comical.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
My DD was ruled out for Runner's Interference while advancing to 2B on a batted ball to 2B. The 2B mishandled the ball on a bad hop. The ball had passed in front my DD and in my and other's opinion she was no where near the play. She did not hesitate or make anyone sudden movements or stopping. The umpire told our coach that she "flailed her arms" which distracted the fielder. Huh? Okay the kid is 5'10" and is not a very graceful runner but to say she "flailed her arms" is comical.

Sounds like the ump blew the call and then used the "flailing arms" to justify it. Of course I didn't see it so....

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Runner hit by batted ball has ended some games for us both for and against us. But no better time with other team having bases loaded and 2 outs and batter nails runner coming off 1B.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Based on your description...In the umpire's judgement (this is an important factor), there was a fielder who had an opportunity to make the play on the ball, and the ball passed that player before hitting the runner. The umpire then applied the rule that relates to that situation.

You can bitch about the rule all you want, but it's still the rule. You can bitch about the umpire's judgement all you want, but he's still the one who is responsible to make that ruling during the game.

What I'm reading is sour grapes that the application of this rule cost your DD's team an important game. I would bet that if you were a parent on the other team, your attitude about the rule would be much different. ;)

A safety tip...Arguing about rules with Comp is futile.

Last edited:

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Go to YouTube and type in baseball runners hit with batted balls. Everyone is called out and every ball goes past the first baseman holding the runner on. To me that is a hit ball past an infielder. Stupid rule for softball. How can you honestly say that rule is ok. A runner shouldn’t interfere with the path of the ball. Regardless if a fielder has a play on it or not

You still don't understand the rule. The fact that the ball got passed the first baseman is only part of the story. If in the umpire's judgment the 2nd baseman or possibly even the right fielder had a play for an out on the ball the runner could still be called out. It's the same rule in both sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi