rules question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2009
I was able to witness a great HS softball game this week. DD was pitching in top of 13th in a 2-2 game,(she had pitched entire game) first pitch is fouled out of play over backstop, ump throws brand new ball to DD, who tosses it back to catcher asking for different ball. Ump refuses, saying that is the ball in play, coach asked if she could roll ball in dirt, refused, coach questions why she can't get another ball, refused to answer.
Ump had at least 1 more ball in his bag, maybe 2, but would not allow her to use any other ball. Of course, she issues 2nd walk of the game and an error allows that run to score and we lost the game. I have witnessed alot of TB and HS games and have never seen ump refuse request for different ball. I'm not saying that cost us the game but is there a rule on this or was ump upset that he had to work so long???

That ump is/was a jerk IMO. Don't know of any rule forbidding a pitchers request to switch a ball.
It does sound like ump wanted to wrap up his long day....6 extra innings!! Nice game...to bad it had to end like that. Your DD is a warrior. Your DD pitched a gem of a game! The error cost you the game not her 2nd walk in 13 innings. Sucks when something as simple as a new gameball coupled with the 'jerk' ump not allowing to switch balls distracted her, the coach and the defense behind her. Especially after 13 innings and being on the field for what, close to 3hrs? I'd be very proud of them....win or lose

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Tell her next time to 'roll' the ball back to the catcher to request a different ball, and have the catcher roll it back if he says no. After 13 innings, I can't believe he still had a new ball! Sounds like a great game though, sorry it had to end like that.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I also would have recommended the catcher bouncing the ball back to her except it sounds like this guy would have tossed her and the manager - a real shame for the game to be somewhat taken away from the players.

Jul 26, 2010
Probably would have been worth giving up a strike and pitching that over the backstop.

That said, pitchers should practice pitching out of holes filled with ants with wet synthetic balls in the snow. After that everything else is cake.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Before it is unilaterally decided that that the PU "was/is a jerk", "distracted" [the pitcher], and because it was the 13th inning "wanted to wrap up his day", let's first establish what rule set this high school game was being played under.
NFHS rules?
If so, perhaps one of the other umps who contribute to the Forum and that calls Fed softball can post the NFHS rule, interp, or approved mechanic that covers requests for a new ball by the pitcher after a ball is fouled out of play. Each of the major FP rule sets have specific ball rotation procedures in their rule books. Once we know the rule set for the game, we can then determine in the PU handled the sitch in the OP properly.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter lost a 11 inning championship game after having pitched 3 other games the same day, been a few years ago. It was a heart breaker.

I saw this in ASA just the other day, pitcher asked for a different ball and ump said, no. It was the early game prior to ours and dew was still on the grass, and I remember seeing it one time before. My daughter keeps a rosin bag for just such an emergence. He even made my daughter put the rosin bag in a certain spot behind the circle.
:confused:

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Before it is unilaterally decided that that the PU "was/is a jerk", "distracted" [the pitcher], and because it was the 13th inning "wanted to wrap up his day", let's first establish what rule set this high school game was being played under.
NFHS rules?
If so, perhaps one of the other umps who contribute to the Forum and that calls Fed softball can post the NFHS rule, interp, or approved mechanic that covers requests for a new ball by the pitcher after a ball is fouled out of play. Each of the major FP rule sets have specific ball rotation procedures in their rule books. Once we know the rule set for the game, we can then determine in the PU handled the sitch in the OP properly.

OP stated it was a brand new ball, brought into the game in the 13th inning. He also said ump had at least 1 or 2 more balls in his pouch. I would like to know what kind of rules NFHS has about ball rotation also, but I can't believe the ump HAD to use a brand new ball. I don't remember ever having seen an ump, NFHS or ASA either one, refusing a pitchers request for a different ball. Seems like it would be his/her option.

I coached Metro ball (MS) playing by HS rules, and the home team had to supply the ump with balls. They always wanted 2, and rolled them in the dirt themselves before the game. One even told me it would be illegal for me or my pitcher to do the same. Maybe HS is different but the ump never asked for a new ball unless one of the other 2 was hit out of play and not returned, or one got cut.

Putting a new ball in play in the 13th inning, with others available, just seems a little unnessesary and ridiculess.

Jul 26, 2010
OP stated it was a brand new ball, brought into the game in the 13th inning. He also said ump had at least 1 or 2 more balls in his pouch. I would like to know what kind of rules NFHS has about ball rotation also, but I can't believe the ump HAD to use a brand new ball. I don't remember ever having seen an ump, NFHS or ASA either one, refusing a pitchers request for a different ball. Seems like it would be his/her option.

I coached Metro ball (MS) playing by HS rules, and the home team had to supply the ump with balls. They always wanted 2, and rolled them in the dirt themselves before the game. One even told me it would be illegal for me or my pitcher to do the same. Maybe HS is different but the ump never asked for a new ball unless one of the other 2 was hit out of play and not returned, or one got cut.

Putting a new ball in play in the 13th inning, with others available, just seems a little unnessesary and ridiculess.

Does it really seem ridiculous? 13 innings is a long time, maybe the original balls were misshapen and wore out? Teach your pitcher how to deal with this. Most pitchers rub dirt/sand into their glove, so the palm is practically sandpaper, and they can rough the ball up without anyone ever noticing. Teach them to hold the fingertips on the seams with no other part of their hand touching the ball and they'll never know the difference.

The umpire is part of the game. We can teach the girls to complain, or we can teach them to adapt and overcome. What kind of life lesson would you rather they get?

-W

Nov 1, 2008
Taken from the NFHS 2011 rule book Rule 6 Pitching

Section 5 Ball Rotation

ART. 1 . . . The pitcher has a choice of balls at the start of each half inning
unless both balls do not get put into play. In that case, the pitcher in the bottom
of the first inning must throw the unused ball. Thereafter, the ball in play should be returned to the 16-foot circle after every half inning.

ART. 2 . . . The pitcher may request the other ball before throwing a warm-up
pitch by giving the ball in her possession to the plate umpire, the pitcher has now
made a choice and must pitch that ball until such time as the ball goes out of play
or becomes blocked.

What's the problem letting her have a different ball? It's quite simple, take one ball out of the pocket, place the undesirable ball into the pocket. Why be needlessly difficult?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish