rules question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
When D.G Outlaws said the rule is the same in ASA, well, it is and it isn't. In Points of Emphasis 2. It does have this same rule almost word for word but there is another paragraph in between the 2 posted by alabama_lowlife. It states that any time a ball is hit out of play, the umpire is to throw in a ball to the pitcher. If the pitcher throws it back, the ump is to give the pitcher a different ball and throw the one returned out of the game untill a ball is damaged or not returned. Obviously they are assuming more than 2 balls in the game. I don't know why this part is not included in the NFHS rules, could be because they only allow 2 balls in the game.

An arguement could be made that the third ball was not legal, or if it is, at least the pitcher should have a choice, but either way, there is nothing in the rules to forbid the ump from giving the pitcher the other ball. Just because the rules don't say he has to, doesn't mean he can't.

Nov 1, 2009
If you read most rule books the ball in play is the ball in play. You can request a different ball but the ump in his discretion can decline. Keep in mind that the new ball is round, correct compression and meets all the requirements of the game. If the ump changes because the pitcher wants a ball that is better for them it is at the same time not as good for the hitter.

The pitcher can leave the circle and rub the ball down with dirt as long as they don't delay the game. Every pitcher should learn how to handle a new ball just in case you are handed one in a critical time of the game.

Mar 13, 2010
That's what I was thinking too. I heard about a college game with a similar situation where the coach told the pitcher to chuck the ball over the backstop -- and there was a ravine behind the backstop. Apparently the umpire said "Next time just ask for a new ball."
Which in NCAA play by rule they are allowed to do. (10.12.2)

Nov 1, 2008
We went to watch Alabama play at Troy a few weeks ago. Troy's pitcher went through about 4 balls before she found the "right" one lol. I found it quite amusing, but then again, I find all the little quirks and superstitions to be pretty entertaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd