Riseball question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Blaine, you're asking me to diagnose a patient without having performed an examination!! lol.

I'd have to see if the ball is actually pointed to third, at what point it's NOT pointed to 3rd, and/or if she's twisting her wrist at the release.

For a rise, she definitely needs to be palm up during the release. Bullet spin is USUALLY caused the wrist turning at release, instead of snapping.

I still maintain the "doubleball" training aid is the best tool for learning the rise. Not only does it SHOW the direction of her spin so she can clearly see it but, the structure of it helps get the right spin when done correctly.

Bill

Feb 25, 2018

Hi Bill,

Thanks for getting back to me.
Here's a link for video from last week.
Sorry for the quality of the video!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Her palm isn't really facing 3rd at release. It's difficult for a pitcher to really know exactly what her body is doing, especially the hand/fingers at release. Good quality video really helps if you can zoom in on the right spot and slow/stop the motion. In her case if you put a piece of black tape (3/4" wide, 3" high) on her forearm, just above the wrist. it will show up on video and she can see her wrist/palm alignment in the release area.

Feb 25, 2018
Her palm isn't really facing 3rd at release. It's difficult for a pitcher to really know exactly what her body is doing, especially the hand/fingers at release. Good quality video really helps if you can zoom in on the right spot and slow/stop the motion. In her case if you put a piece of black tape (3/4" wide, 3" high) on her forearm, just above the wrist. it will show up on video and she can see her wrist/palm alignment in the release area.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give that a try this week.

Sep 3, 2015
DD throws her rise with thumb off grip, PC says thumb can interfere with spin for some. She is still learning it but prefers the grip that way

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Wow, running through this thread and saw my post from 2 1/2 years ago.

DD still throws the no thumb rise and it's her go to pitch. She is known for her rise now and gets a lot of strikeouts with it.

threw a no hitter (9K, BB) last week at 16u PGF socal invitational.

It's a devastating pitch when thrown correctly and you can tell by the amount of swings and misses.

For all of you bucket dad's that have caught a good riseball coming right at your eyes you know what I mean.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Here's a link for video from last week.

one observation: I think it is hard to get the arm/hand in the right position to whip under the ball for a Rise,
if the arm is so straight/elbow locked-out from 9:00 into release (6:00).

Try maintaining a bit more bend/less tension in the arm.
(will also help with getting to a "palm up" position at 9:00 which we all tend to strive for)

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad