Right mix of Plyometrics, Cardio & Strength Training?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Asking regarding a nearly 14 year old girl. Currently we've been doing three sets of the following:

After about 5 minutes of dynamic warm-ups:
1) Thirty to fifty jumping jacks (Cardio)
2) Reverse lunges with overhead presses using 8lb. dumbells (10 reps each side - stability, cardio & strength)
3) Squats with front arm raises using 2lb. dumbells (20 reps stability, cardio & strength)
4) Squats into arm curl into standing presses (using alternate legs & 8lb dumbells - 10 reps each leg - stability, cardio & strength)
5) Burpees - pushup into a standing leap straight up (10 reps - cardio, stability & strength)
6) Bent over row into a standing on one leg upright rows (10 reps each leg - strength & stability)
7) Jump rope - 60 to 100 reps (cardio)

The concept is to work the whole body with each exercise, while engaging the core and emphasizing different muscle groups. My question is does the above seem like a good routine for softball & general conditioning? Also how about the mix of cardio, stability (core) & strength training?

Oct 25, 2009
Asking regarding a nearly 14 year old girl. Currently we've been doing three sets of the following:

After about 5 minutes of dynamic warm-ups:
1) Thirty to fifty jumping jacks (Cardio)
2) Reverse lunges with overhead presses using 8lb. dumbells (10 reps each side - stability, cardio & strength)
3) Squats with front arm raises using 2lb. dumbells (20 reps stability, cardio & strength)
4) Squats into arm curl into standing presses (using alternate legs & 8lb dumbells - 10 reps each leg - stability, cardio & strength)
5) Burpees - pushup into a standing leap straight up (10 reps - cardio, stability & strength)
6) Bent over row into a standing on one leg upright rows (10 reps each leg - strength & stability)
7) Jump rope - 60 to 100 reps (cardio)

The concept is to work the whole body with each exercise, while engaging the core and emphasizing different muscle groups. My question is does the above seem like a good routine for softball & general conditioning? Also how about the mix of cardio, stability (core) & strength training?

That appears to be a great workout.

I would add planks for the internal abs; transversus abdominis, I think they're called. They are VERY important for hitting and throwing.

Also, I would add two or three times more jump rope. Speed rope, power jumps, skiers, twists (great for the core), etc. Google Buddy Lee for really good info on jump rope.

Lastly, look into sled pulling. An old tire attached to a waist belt makes a good sled.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I forgot we usually do a "Plank Challenge" at the end where we both hold the plank position for as long as possible with good form (I do all exercises with her & yes I sweat A LOT!). I agree jump rope should be done more & probably will now that she's getting comforatble doing it. I'm not sure about sled pulling, since I'd be concerned about stress injuries.

Thanks for your input!

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I forgot we usually do a "Plank Challenge" at the end where we both hold the plank position for as long as possible with good form (I do all exercises with her & yes I sweat A LOT!). I agree jump rope should be done more & probably will now that she's getting comforatble doing it. I'm not sure about sled pulling, since I'd be concerned about stress injuries.

Thanks for your input!

Google Santa Monica Sports and look at the program PEP. The thing we have discovered over and over in the last few years is that in general no one seems to take in account the girls do not understand how to get balanced, jump, land or cut. Warm ups as described in the PEP program have been said to reduce ACL related injuries by 41 % in basketball and soccer. That is huge as most injury reports have seen such as compared to baseball verses softball indicated that the boys had a 3% injury rate to the knees and the girls had 31 % for the same area.

Looking at most females, the hamstring is over looked as to being weaker in general with the female, combined with hips being wider and not flexing the knees upon landing, this might be worth looking into.

Thanks Howard

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hi Gerry,

You got a nice little circuit in there. You are lacking some core stuff in there - very important. Pick up a medicine ball and do some rotational work with it. I like the overall look of it. Key is consistency and do it on a regular basis. Also, getting a swiss ball is not a bad idea => great tool for core.

Also a good dynamic warm-up providing you are doing a lot of mobility work will also do "some" of the work that Howard talk about. Howard is right on with preventing injuries in young ladies by strengthening knee and hip stabilizers - a lot of it can be done with single leg work.

Cheers,

Coach Marc :)

Oct 25, 2009

Thanks for your input!

We've been using sleds for a couple years now with no negative results. Look on youtube for some good exercises. Forward pull, backward pull, side step pulls. We also use trunk rotation pulls with the hands doing the pulling. Very similar to the swing motion.

I forgot to mention the agility ladder. We do a LOT of that. My favorite in that area is the side to side high knee jumps using both feet. We jump over the entire ladder side to side. This is great for strengthening the ankles and the knees in addition to the calves and hamstrings. We also do a one-legged hop from side to side with the left foot and then the right.

We haven't had an injury in the past two years (knock on wood). And we are an aggressive team!!

Just for a benchmark, a few of our girls are right at 140 (136-142) jumps per minute with the jump rope timed for a full minute. Time keeps ticking if you tangle. One senior, one sophomore, several freshmen. Of course, we have some far less capable, also.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
We've been using sleds for a couple years now with no negative results. Look on youtube for some good exercises. Forward pull, backward pull, side step pulls. We also use trunk rotation pulls with the hands doing the pulling. Very similar to the swing motion.

I forgot to mention the agility ladder. We do a LOT of that. My favorite in that area is the side to side high knee jumps using both feet. We jump over the entire ladder side to side. This is great for strengthening the ankles and the knees in addition to the calves and hamstrings. We also do a one-legged hop from side to side with the left foot and then the right.

We haven't had an injury in the past two years (knock on wood). And we are an aggressive team!!

Just for a benchmark, a few of our girls are right at 140 (136-142) jumps per minute with the jump rope timed for a full minute. Time keeps ticking if you tangle. One senior, one sophomore, several freshmen. Of course, we have some far less capable, also.

Our girls who are playing basketball are being injured....the basketball coaches do not understand MOST of these girls do not land, jump or cut properly! The hamstring in not as strong as the quad....jump shot and the ACL is gone and so is softball for three girls we know....SO FAR!

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Our girls who are playing basketball are being injured....the basketball coaches do not understand MOST of these girls do not land, jump or cut properly! The hamstring in not as strong as the quad....just shot and the ACL is gone and so is softball for three girls we know....SO FAR!

Thanks Howard

My DD tore her ACL and had it replaced with a hamstring back in 1998 due to a basketball injury. She missed half a season, coming back to softball the following season.

It ended up somewhat of a blessing. She earned a Doctorate in Physical Therapy in 2009.

It is extremely important to build strength and agility. The muscles that support the body can help protect the body from injury if properly strengthened. There are so many resources available. There should be no excuse for not building the correct strength. This is especially true for females. That's not even considering the major positive impact on their game.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
It's a good set but I just want to know if you had prior strength training before this set or is these the exercises you did on day one?
As everyone pointed out good core strength and leg strength is a good base or an important part of conditioning prior to any plyometrics training. A good cardio set would be interval training which you can check in the internet.

Good conditioning exercises as strength base would be olympic lifts but it's important to know proper form and correct execution on weight

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles