Rice bucket for pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2016
Looking for ways to help with fingers and spin? Anyone ever use a rice in a bucket to strengthen fingers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think rice bucket exercises are great, but nothing beats spin awareness and good reps. Understand the objective, then throw from whatever distance and effort to get perfect reps in and build from there.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Know of 3 former SEC pitchers who spun in excess of 35rps. None of them did finger exercises but all were very whippy all the way down to the pads of their fingers. You cannot muscle your way to high spin or top velocity. Would focus on many other things before spending a minute on finger workouts.

Nov 15, 2016
Great guys thanks. Curve ball is actually starting to break. Before more of an angled pitch . Stopped stepping across Powel Line also seems to be helpful. Funny thing moved back to about 50 feet and ball started breaking So I think she realized it was possible and gave her confidence that spin really does move the ball. We have been focusing on spins every time we warm up and it seems to be paying off just wondering if anything extra we could do. I always appreciate yalls input.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Great guys thanks. Curve ball is actually starting to break. Before more of an angled pitch . Stopped stepping across Powel Line also seems to be helpful. Funny thing moved back to about 50 feet and ball started breaking So I think she realized it was possible and gave her confidence that spin really does move the ball. We have been focusing on spins every time we warm up and it seems to be paying off just wondering if anything extra we could do. I always appreciate yalls input.

Nothing wrong with throwing at 50 feet or longer. Harder to muscle the ball and pitchers have a tendency to use their body and catch the whip. The importance of long toss cannot be underestimated.

Jan 28, 2017
Read an article that playing the guitar helps with spins. My DD doesn't play the guitar but plays the piano and can spin the ball pretty good with extra small hands.

My 10 year old son plays the guitar and has pitched a little last year in rec ball. His TB team had him throw a bullpen and the coach said he has the best curve ball spin I've ever seen at this age. Only threw it a couple of time before and never off the mound. Have no clue if it has anything to do with it.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Know of 3 former SEC pitchers who spun in excess of 35rps. None of them did finger exercises but all were very whippy all the way down to the pads of their fingers. You cannot muscle your way to high spin or top velocity. Would focus on many other things before spending a minute on finger workouts.

/\/\/\This/\/\/\

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad