review pitching Video and provide feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(1) Her release is wrong. She isn't using internal rotation (IR). There are a couple of threads about internal rotation. IR will probably add a couple of MPHs to her speed.
(2) Other than the IR, her form looks pretty good.

Her leg drive is abysmal, and she slows down her arm when she throws.

She throws a lot of pitches on your video, but she never breathes hard or sweats. It is like she is sleep walking. Where is the "I'm going to throw this ball right through the friggin' backstop" attitude?

IMHO, she is concentrating to much on form and not enough on throwing the ball as hard as she possible can. It seems that she has either (a) forgotten what she is supposed to be doing or (b) was never taught what she is supposed to be doing. I'm sure someone has encouraged her to "throw strikes", so she can probably throw strikes until the cows come home--but throwing strikes isn't going to get it.

What I would do is to do only speed work from now until January. Forget control, forget pitches--work on getting her to throw every pitch at maximum effort.

If she were my DD, I would:

(a) Get a speed gun.
(b) Break down her motion into (1) arm only, (2) arm and legs only, and (3) full motion.
(c) Get her speed throwing "arm" only, arms and legs only, and full motion. Then, make her compete against herself for each of these.
(d) Have her work on her leg drive. She is barely pushing off with her right leg.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Get her body weight coming forward alot faster. Make sure she is on a good forward lean when she starts to push off because she is not pushing off at all. That is just a little momentum carrying her forward and the pivot leg is only doing just that, pivoting and then getting pulled forward from the stride.

She is not aggressive at all. Get her pissed and throwing hard or tell her to take up cheerleading instead.

Fastpitch is a sport, not a recreational activity as she seems to think it is from her motions.

Hal

Mar 13, 2010
Neither's cheerleading from that matter. (I've never done it, but those girls work DAMN hard at their sport) Don't disparage one girl's sport to puff up another.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hi and welcome to the board. This young lady is not unlike 9 out of 10 pitchers that I see in the high school ranks, in both Il. and Az.

Tweek her from the ground up and see what happens. Scoot the front foot forward, so that the toes are off the rubber. Raise the back heal and then have her rock back on it. (This is pre-motion.) As everything starts to come forward, have her use her legs to spring up and out, catlike. She wants to get to a power k position or a big X.

Open up more toward third base. Angle the front foot more and land toe first.

Put some equipment on the catcher, so this young lady can throw.

Let's see walk throughs and power Ks. Film from behind the catcher.

We are not seeing anywhere near the speed that you mention.

Your video is nice and clear, but is just too long to expect a college coach to look at.

Let us see her overhand throw and the 2 drills that I mentioned along with a couple of good fastballs, in about a 2 minute video and I think someone will be able to help her.

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks Amy. That was good feedback. She is a hard working kid an knows she has to add more to the motion to get more speed and spin. Regarding the length of the Video...does that hurt or do the coaches just stop watching after they see what they want to see? I can get the guy who did it to cut it down. I like the "catlike" reference ...her knickname is Kat.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Regarding the length of the Video...does that hurt or do the coaches just stop watching after they see what they want to see? I can get the guy who did it to cut it down.

Since you posted on YouTube, do a search of "softball skills videos" and review what other girls have produced. I have seen many professional looking, short (2 - 3 mins) clips that really showcase her skills. I'm sure most experienced coaches can decide on whether a girl has some talent within seconds of watching a video or seeing a girl in person.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish