Hillhouse Pitching DVDs Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I just wanted to share my review of Hillhouse's pitching DVDs and hear input from others on their experience with the videos and/or experiences with Bill. First off, I am a big fan of Bill's method of teaching pitching and his contribution to the sport is impressive. I recently purchased his latest two DVDs: The "Pitches" and "Tricks of the Trade" and previously own : "Building the Foundation..." and "The Road to the Rise ball" DVDs. With that said, I wanted to write an objective review.

What's Taught

Bill is very consistent with his method and message, keep it simple. Don't over-complicate the pitching process. For example, he doesn't want the student to do any unnecessary movements in the start of their delivery (no hands over head).

He also doesn't like a bunch of different drills that don't replicate the full pitching motion.

He preaches absolutes in pitching vs. stylistic.

He likes the greatest separation (depth on the rubber) between the pivot foot and stride foot for maximum momentum at push off.

During the stride, the pitcher needs to get fully open whereas the catcher only sees the front shoulder.

During the arm circle, at 12:00 the bicep brushes the head and at 6:00 the forearm brushes the belly.

You want to pitch through the hip, not around the hip. Left and right issues are mechanical issues, up and down issues are timing.

You only need three pitches: Drop ball, Change-up, and Rise ball. The reason is you want to change planes by working vertically, not horizontally. If you want to add a "sideways" pitch than use a Cutter with more pressure on the index finger.

With the ball behind you on the downswing, the ball is pointed to 3rd base and the fingers to the sky.

Arm Whip / Arm Snap is key with arm, wrist, and fingers all creating the whip. He wants to finish somewhere across the body (not forced into the hello elbow).

One of his favorite drills is to pitch the ball into your own glove. Helps fix a lot of mechanical issues.

The Peel Drop is your fastball but you throw it at the back hip (release early), not front hip (more on this below).

The Flip Change is his favorite type of c/u since it looks just like every other pitch and you can throw it hard, don't slow down the arm circle though. You want it to finish across the body so it moves both down and away because of the side spin.

How It's Taught

Bill's very first DVD was probably his best in the way the information is presented. He demonstrates more, has diagrams/graphics, overall just more professionally prepared IMO. The Road to the Riseball is good but in general, his DVDs don't really show him or his students actually pitching full motion.

The Pitches DVD and Tricks of the Trade were helpful and reinforced the mechanics that should be utilized on the three main pitches he teaches and trouble-shooting areas. These two DVDs were almost exclusively shot at one time and location and they are very no frills. All close-up of Bill standing in one spot showing primarily arm circle mechanics and drills. I don't think you see him or any other pitcher actually throw a pitch?

Areas for Improvement

Overall, I think this collection of pitching DVDs is a must have. With that said here are some observations and comments for areas of improvement:

It would be very helpful to see Bill or someone else on these 4 DVDs actually throw a pitch to a catcher whereas the viewer could see the full mechanics and spin, movement of the ball. I know there are a couple of pitching video clips on Bill's website but they really should be on the DVDs, don't you think?

The latest 2 DVDs have 3 or 4 product commercials throughout. I understand why they are there ($$) but they are very distracting, you watch the video for 10mins, and then a commercial, rinse and repeat.

The more recent DVDs feel like they were made in 1 day. Very no frills, no graphics to reinforce the key concepts, no visuals other than Bill standing in front of you, etc.. Bill has a wealth of knowledge and a focus on the production value would make these DVDs much more valuable and rich in content for the viewer.

Lastly, a few items I have a hard time reconciling from what is presented by other experts on this site:

Bill advocates ball pointed at 3rd base and fingers to the sky when coming down the circle. When I point my fingers to the sky, the palm and ball of my hand is pointed to the sky not 3rd base? It would seem, having read much of BMs posts on Internal Rotation, that at 9:00 you would want the palm facing the sky not 3rd base? This way you will maximize the rotation of the arm (generating more velocity and spin to the pitch) as its come down the arm circle into release?

Some experts on this site disagree that the "horizontal" pitches don't have much value and that pitchers should learn how to throw curves, drop curves, screwballs since they can be effective even in college and beyond (for example, Keilani Ricketts's drop curve). Only learning the key 3 pitches might be too restrictive?

The Drop Ball is released at the back hip, no other changes in mechanics necessary? All things being equal, if the only difference between throwing the fastball and drop ball is the ball is released at the back hip to get more spin and movement, the pitcher would be throwing the ball into the dirt in front of home plate. I would love to see slo-mo video of Bill throwing a fastball and drop ball. My gut feeling is that there a slight differences (i.e. the angle of the pitch at release) that also contribute getting good spin and drop on the drop ball.

In summary, I think Bill is an outstanding pitching coach. While I feel the DVDs have some very good information and insights, I came away from the last 3 videos wanting something more technical information and in depth review of the pitching motion.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I like the comments about Bill demonstrating more. I'll bet the reason he hasn't to this point is because he was still competing at the highest levels and didn't want to give anything away to the competition.

I believe in his last newsletter, he hinted at retirement, at least at the highest levels. I wonder if this change will bring about another DVD where he demonstrates a bit more. I'll buy that one, too! How about it Bill? :)

Feb 5, 2010
Rocketech1
I have only met Bill a couple times but what I have been able to take away from those couple of meeting this, Bill does not teach a "fastball". Drop, Rise, Change
By description, what do you consider a fastball? Is it the pitchers fastest pitch or is there something else? What is your definition of a drop-ball?

Feb 7, 2013
Rocketech1
I have only met Bill a couple times but what I have been able to take away from those couple of meeting this, Bill does not teach a "fastball". Drop, Rise, Change
By description, what do you consider a fastball? Is it the pitchers fastest pitch or is there something else? What is your definition of a drop-ball?

I think we are in agreement that Hillhouse pretty much says the Four-Seam Fastball is the Peel Drop. I agree with this too. Some of his DVDs say that to achieve the "drop off the table" for the peel drop, you just release the ball at the back hip (7:00 instead of 6:00 for example). Others have said you lean a little forward, shorten your step, release a little later and peel up on the ball? The latter does not seem correct to me.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Thanks for the detailed review. I watched the video with my body at a 90 degree angle to the TV and my head looking over my shoulder and I went blind....sorry couldn't resist.

In an attempt to diffuse some of the tension building... I thought I'd share a few product ideas with Bill for consideration to his online store... ;)

The Hillhouse Open-Style Walking Stick
2dklhld.jpg

Not just for clinics, it's also a handy tool for bucket dads!

16k2vec.jpg

Experience a riseball like never before with the:
Sneaky Bent-Finger Riseball Upside-Down Bifocals!
5ujr00.jpg

Bill - we all appreciate your posts. Thanks for all your contributions. Hope this makes you laugh!

Apr 25, 2010
I think there is some misunderstanding about what Bill teaches. Everyone seems to think that he only teaches up, down, and change up. To some degree, that is true. However, he also gives his student instruction how to make those pitches move in and out, as well. For instance, he taught my DD how to make her rise curve away from a RHB and how to make her drop curve or screw. His main point is that a pitch should never be on a single plane.

Jun 13, 2009
I can tell you this... the main point Bill conveys in our lessons is that the hand should be BEHIND the ball (fingers point down) at the release. The ad-vocation of the ball pointing to 3rd is to eliminate the problem people have of "curling" the wrist, "cupping" the wrist or turning the ball towards 2nd base. I'm sure Bill will correct me if I'm wrong here.

My DD had bullet spin when we first went to lessons. It was quickly pointed out that she cupped her wrist at the top of the circle so, she had to point the ball to 3rd during the circle and PRESTO, we got 6/12 rotation. At one point, she started to straighten her arm and was getting sore in the shoulder. He took a look at 2 pitches and said she's pointing the ball towards 2nd base, which automatically straightens the arm. Point the ball towards 3rd and PRESTO, she got her whip back. He has said countless times that he doesn't care where the wrist/ball is at the top of the circle as long as she's getting into the right position at the bottom of it. MOST people that are in a bad position at the top of the circle end up in a bad position at the bottom of it, this can lead to bullet spin, straight arm, or even chicken winging at the release.

cg

Aug 21, 2008
CG is right. It's the position at the bottom that is the key. If that wasn't articulated well enough in the video, then my apologies. Sincerely. I kind of thought of that similarly to how I think of the foot landing at a 45 degree angle, while it should be taught, as she gets older, she will find ways to cheat out of it. As a pitcher gets more experienced and more comfortable with what they doing, they can start to cheat a little and still get the same results: most of the time! But by then, the muscle memory for what they need at the release is already in tact.

I did want to make a new video this year, sort of a remake of the first one. Not changing the information but, updating it with some different terminology and stuff. But, I didn't get around to it. Sorry. Your question about wanting to see pitches being thrown live is one I've heard multiple times. I'll have to figure that out, when filming it's usually just me and the camera man. So, I don't have anyone else there. I do "demo" things when I am doing a clinic somewhere but it's hard to do on video because the rotation of the ball cannot be seen very well. I guess I'd have to use a striped ball, which I could do.

Rocketech, I actually thought the 'commecial' idea was kinda cool. I was proud of myself on that, I thought it would be unique. Sorry you didn't like it. But you're wrong, it wasn't really about the $$. I didn't get paid (nor do I get paid anything for endorsing any products). But, the commercials were put in to show the products that I recommend. In today's era where there are 10,000 pitching websites and everyone is trying to build a gadget to make you a better pitcher faster, the truth is most of those things are not what is advertised. Not all, but a good portion. There's only a few gadgets I recommend to help pitchers correct or establish the right muscle memory. There might be some validity in others and I'm not trying to put any other thing down, just saying I don't use them.

It's funny that you commented about how the last 2 videos were both shot in the same location, etc. One of the main criticisms I got from the first 2, other than they made people lose their sight, was that the location changed. One lady, who is a professional director, said that the same location, same attire, same everything is a big key and doing the multiple location thing is a no-no. She claimed it takes away from the material and people become focused on the change of clothes, change of location, etc. I don't know if she's right or wrong, but I know she knows more about it than I do. So, I took her advice.

Anyway, thanks for the mostly positive review. As Crystlemc said, I always want the ball to change planes. All we have to do is look at the numbers on ESPN to see that the days of flat pitches are coming to an end. HR totals are through the roof. This is partly because bats and balls today put pop flies over the fence. Keeping the ball on the same plane is only helping the hitters. And the hitting is REALLY catching up and in many cases, taking control of the games. Why throw a ball on the same plane as their swing? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know the Ricketts girl at all. I don't know anything about her, except she's left handed. But what I do know is, a lefty throwing inside to a righty doesn't make it a "curve". or a "drop curve". I cannot even begin to tell you how many girls I see that have a "drop curve" which is nothing more than a drop they try to throw to the other side of the plate. There's no curve involved. Now, you could be right... Ricketts might have a drop curve but I would love to stand in the box or catch to see if that's what it really is or if she just throws a dropball inside. A dropball inside is one of the HARDEST if not THE hardest pitch to hit. It's not as sexy as the rise or gives the "oooooooh" of the change up. But it's devastating and can be the best strike out pitch someone can have. But I've seen way too many girls trying to throw a drop curve that does nothing but hang over the plate and gets yanked for a long HR. Why not just throw a drop on the outside? Why take away any of the downspin that makes it drop by trying to put a sidespin on the ball too? We need to stop trying to over-complicate things and stop being so fancy. Keep the down spin so it drops and throw it outside. ESPN announcers are the worst when it comes to this propaganda. Anything thrown inside is a "screwball". Outside is a curve. etc. Most of the time it's a bunch of bull.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles