Reverse Pitchout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
Scenario- international tie breaker, fake bunt steal on for the offense to swipe third. Right handed batter. Pitchout is well behind the batter, allowing the catcher to clear the fake bunt/batter congestion. So long as the catcher doesn’t leave the catchers box prior to release, are there any issues related to this? Seems effective for a quick pickoff at third as well on an aggressive lead. Pitchout would be halfway between batter and on deck circle ideally.
I've seen this very play in action and it's a thing of beauty when it works.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I've seen this very play in action and it's a thing of beauty when it works.

We use a pitchout. For the life of me I cannot understand why other teams whose catchers are not blessed with a super quick release or accurate cannon arm don't use it. I have had to develop catchers when we had none and this became a way to control outright stealing. Yes you have to choose your pitch but once it works the opposition tends to stay put.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here are drills to get Catchers moving explosively.
Includes glove and transition work.
Our goal is to get our body behind the outside line of batters boxes and can reach beyond.

As to purposely throwing behind a batter. Can be done. Obviously larger risk.
Have thrown out runners on this play, but it was wild pitches. Both with pitches in the air and dirt.

imo~ very important to train for these possibilities intentional or not.

REALLY ENJOY STRATEGY 👍

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red