Reverse Pitchout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2019
Scenario- international tie breaker, fake bunt steal on for the offense to swipe third. Right handed batter. Pitchout is well behind the batter, allowing the catcher to clear the fake bunt/batter congestion. So long as the catcher doesn’t leave the catchers box prior to release, are there any issues related to this? Seems effective for a quick pickoff at third as well on an aggressive lead. Pitchout would be halfway between batter and on deck circle ideally.

Jun 11, 2013
I would imagine it's legal. Not sure how well you could execute as you would have to stay in normal position or you just gave what you are doing away then during a pitch have the C lose sight of the ball then pick it up while on the move and then get in a position to catch it turn and throw. If you can't throw a runner out on a normal pitchout at 3rd you are in trouble.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
PLUS, you have a batter who just might step back into the pitch. AND as an umpire if a pitch is behind the batter I would have a very hard time ruling interference against the batter if there is contact with the catcher while the batter is trying to avoid potentially being hit by pitch.

May 1, 2018
You mean the catcher is going to slide all the way behind batter, catch the ball, and make a throw? And if the catcher misses the ball?

Mar 28, 2014
Scenario- international tie breaker, fake bunt steal on for the offense to swipe third. Right handed batter. Pitchout is well behind the batter, allowing the catcher to clear the fake bunt/batter congestion. So long as the catcher doesn’t leave the catchers box prior to release, are there any issues related to this? Seems effective for a quick pickoff at third as well on an aggressive lead. Pitchout would be halfway between batter and on deck circle ideally.
Personally I like this kind of thinking. Outside of the box. It's how things change.

In theory I think it's a great idea. Just not sure if the timing would work because your catcher would have to be awfully quick to make it all the way on the other side of the batter in the time it takes the ball to get to her from the pitcher and she would have to catch it on the move meaning the pitcher would have to lead her like a QB leads a WR. A lot of moving parts there so not sure if the risk is worth the reward. For me anyway.

Aug 25, 2019
Well, a question I thought of here is......Does the catcher have to squat down into position for a pitch?....Can a catcher stand up to receive a pitch if she so chooses?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez