Reverse Hand Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
That would be Englishbey Hitting. This would be the equivalent of what Steve Englishbey would call his tall and fall drill. Its not identical but its pretty close.

The bolded part above is the critical. Specifically, what do you find interesting about it?

This is what I found on his home page...

Two Key Elements in an Elite-Level Swing:
(1) generate tremendous explosive power from the middle of their body and
(2) use their upper body in the most efficient way to transfer that explosive power to their bat head.

His "Swing Components" page is coming soon and this is pretty vague, so there isn't much to work with. =) Do you have a video so we can all check it out hit "Tall and Fall" drill?

May 7, 2008
DFW
Tewks,

Steve doesn't put his videos out on a web site other than his own. To see them you have to buy his DVDs. That gets you access to the site. Not unlike HI. ' You wont find any of his stuff out on Youtube. I will not put any of his drills out on the web as he considers them proprietary and since I know him personally I wouldnt do that to him. I am a man of my word. So I am not at liberty to put a video up of the drill.

Spend a few bucks and go check it out. It is well worth the money. If for nothing else than a different perspective on what is offered at other sites.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
William Wrigley said, "When two men always agree, one of them is unnecessary." Polite, civil discussion is helpful and beneficial. For those who haven't already made up their minds and closed them, multiple points of view can have great value. It's good to get analysis from people with varying opinions as long as you remember at the end of the day that they are merely opinions, not fact. You find what works best and discard the rest. If it ceases to work, you find something else.

Ken received your emails and agree. When Marc and I did a clinic together he invited me to come here to share opinions and thoughts as to what we do and I had no agenda and only posted on one other site because feelings can become so strong the kids, parents and coaches get pushed to the side and become over whelmed and then look else where for help because they do not want to get caught up in the fire storm of right or wrong with how to do something especially hitting.

No one on this site has been forced to try a suggested method we have mentioned and there are some on here that I have worked with personally and help at the clinics we do that can say our amateurish mechanics do work. We have about 70 plus kids in college that are getting some of their college expenses paid and some are on full rides, others full academic rides and walked on the softball team because they love the sport. I know enough about the differences in male and female athletes to know there are differences in how we teach them and how they perform and we have always said, see it , feel it and fix it and have come up with a way we thinks works well for use and maybe does not fit the mold. Maybe not everyone agrees with it and that is OK so do not use it. So I would suggest do not use it or even try to understand it and go to the Hitting Institution Church of your choice! However why try to burn the others church down to make your point of belief?

I have said before, I could care less about the Elite MLB Swing pattern as I am working with females, so show me examples the girls can relate too as this is a softball site NOT a baseball site. It is always interesting when I see clips of MLB players that none of them are ever striking out or popping up however it is always a perfect clip in the eye of the poster. However when it comes to female clips they rarely ever do anything correctly and could always do it better if they tried this or that method or this drill or that drill and then they would get it! The differences in male to female encompasses enough differences that in my opinion you need to proceed in a sequence that fits all the learning methods they use because they want to know why and we use mirrors, not smoke but mirrors to help them learn. Some parents, kids and coaches are looking for help from anywhere they can find it and it is up to them to see and feel what works and if their daughters can use it. I got a call today from a parent in Philly thanking us for some of the gadgets and it finally clicked for his daughter when using it. If you do not like the gadget do not build it and find something else that you thinks works for you in my opinion, as I did not charge you to even tell you how to make it and I sure did not make you make it. I have learned something from every kid I have worked with and also found some coaches, in my opinion have no clue as to what they are teaching you and I move on.

I do not have to waste my time defending what or how I do it and you do not have to read it or like it as long as it is in good taste and fits into the norms of this board and those who run it! It is someones business not mine and I appreciate the opportunity that it affords everyone to share thoughts with others of said interest and that it helps their girls enjoy the sport more.

Thanks Howard

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
So if I read this right, Tewks has a drill he came up with that is similar to a drill Steve E developed. I would consider that a good thing. Two people independently coming to the same conclusion likely means they're either both on to something or they're both way off base.

I have drills I use for hitting and pitching that I've never seen or heard about before. They're designed to solve specific issues or create certain behaviors. But that doesn't mean someone else didn't think of them and use them as well. We're not talking about splitting the atom here. I would actually feel good to learn someone else had seen the same problem and came to the same conclusion. Hopefully that's where this discussion is headed.

1chapterahead

Banned
Feb 18, 2010
So if I read this right, Tewks has a drill he came up with that is similar to a drill Steve E developed. I would consider that a good thing. Two people independently coming to the same conclusion likely means they're either both on to something or they're both way off base.

I have drills I use for hitting and pitching that I've never seen or heard about before. They're designed to solve specific issues or create certain behaviors. But that doesn't mean someone else didn't think of them and use them as well. We're not talking about splitting the atom here. I would actually feel good to learn someone else had seen the same problem and came to the same conclusion. Hopefully that's where this discussion is headed.

This is basically Epstein's long 3 drill. He (Epstein) also has a short 3 which is the lag position.

Both Epstein drills teach hand torque, lateral tilt, getting the front elbow into the swing plane and rear hip thrust.

There is a modified torque drill that I learned from a member @HI.com that brings the 2 bolded words above together. Some here have seen my son performing the modified torque drill, but I'll share if you'd like....

Last edited:

1chapterahead

Banned
Feb 18, 2010
I've taken the course, it really has helped.

Real quick:
One night the Carnegie instructor brought up the topic of the need for some people to be lied to. For what ever reason, that really stuck with me. He told us a story about his wife who owned a dance school, but took a 2nd job around the holidays for extra cash. One night, she had an emergency at the school, where a dance instructor was not going to be able to make it, so she called her boss at the part time job and told him the truth. Needless to say, he laid into her and reminded her of her obligations. NOW, had she lied and said she was sick, do you think her boss would have given her a hard time? Who here misses work because they're sick? Sure, it happens, but most of the time that's code for something else.

Her boss wanted to be lied to... Why?

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
That movie The Invention of Lying does a good job of showing the value lies have in society. If everyone just said what they really thought the world would be a lot meaner place.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Rest assurred, I will NEVER lie to you- whether it makes matters worse for me , or makes them worse for you.....actually most times silence would solve the meanness problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06