Remember that injury Chelsea Thomas had a few years ago?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Does anyone remember how she got it?
I wanted DD to work with a cannonball doing finger flips to strengthen her fingers and she said that's how Chelsea Thomas hurt herself.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Finger flips is what I call the "exercise" that Bill H recommends for pitchers to do with a regular ball. flip it up, applying spin as you do, and catch it (on the seams if possible). its more about developing finger control and maximizing spin.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Is Coach Hillhouse promoting a weighted ball? I'm a huge fan of spinning the ball, just not sold on using a weighted ball, especially to the extent demo'd above.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Is Coach Hillhouse promoting a weighted ball?
No - my idea to help build finger strength. I realized after posting this that the cannonball is probably too big to start with and if introducing a weighted ball is to work effectively, it should be done in small increments. my goal isn't to speed up the process as much as it is to introduce a little variety.
She has an incrediball in her bedroom that she can use anytime and because it's soft, it's not a big deal when she drops it.

May 10, 2010
I had a nerve impingement in my elbow that caused the same numbness and I do not pitch. It would get pinched and get angry then settle down during the day. Dr. that did it said it was more common that you would think and could not be attributed to 1 specific thing because it was not even my dominate arm. The funny bone nerve was relocated and have not had a problem since. Also my dd flips a weighted ball but never throws it overhanded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd