Release point - and more arm circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
Hey all,

Two DD's here with vastly different styles. Older DD was the guinea pig, and is still recovering from a lot of bad advice, we all know how that goes! I've been posting here for a long time and have received a ton of information publicly and privately, for that I am grateful.

My understanding is for proper whip release should be around the back hip. Both DD's struggle with that from time to time, but older DD almost never hits it. I realize there are many reasons for that, but thought I would post a few clips and get some thoughts on it. I know several areas for improvement here. Where would you focus?

Also, my opening question from my previous thread on little DD still remains

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18097-arm-circle-question.html

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
pic2.JPGosterman12.JPGKenB in the other thread said it pretty well...she looks pretty good at release, but not so much prior to release.

IR is important, but it isn't the be all, end all of pitching. It is *part* of a good overall motion. She'll never reach her potential until she fixes the rest of her motion.

Attached are pictures of her at 12. Notice her left foot. It is touching the ground. The foot should be off the ground by a couple of inches. She actually should be balanced on her right foot at 12.

The drills I would recommend are "the stork"...she gets open, stands on her right foot with her left foot up and throws you the ball. She does *NOT* lower her left foot until after you throw the ball back to her. (My DD could stand on her right foot with her left foot up and throw the ball about 50 MPHs.)

The other drill is "three pump. She again balances on her right foot but with the left toe on the ground for balance. She then does three rotations with the arm. Each time she is at 3 she lifts her toe off the ground, and at release taps her left toe on the ground. On the third rotation she throws.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Here's the ironic part..........

Is it any wonder that a pitcher can achieve almost 75-80% of peek higher level velocity from a drill position using I/R?

Yet remove I/R from the equation and push the ball from that same drill position and see the velocity drop off in spades.......

So I/R may only be one part of the equation.........But that equation reads: I/R(75-80%) + The rest(20-25%) = 100%.

It's pretty important......No wait.....Very important........No wait........Vitally important........No actaully it's CRITICALLY IMPORTANT.........

Leg drive can be longer or shorter..........The arm circle can be wider or more narrow.......It can be a perfect circle or something less then perfect.......

But if you've got outstanding I/R delivery mechanics your gonna go a long ways in this sport........

Oh ok, just admit it.......It is MANDATORY for peek performance...........:p

Jul 14, 2008
Hey all,

Two DD's here with vastly different styles. Older DD was the guinea pig, and is still recovering from a lot of bad advice, we all know how that goes! I've been posting here for a long time and have received a ton of information publicly and privately, for that I am grateful.

My understanding is for proper whip release should be around the back hip. Both DD's struggle with that from time to time, but older DD almost never hits it. I realize there are many reasons for that, but thought I would post a few clips and get some thoughts on it. I know several areas for improvement here. Where would you focus?

Also, my opening question from my previous thread on little DD still remains

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18097-arm-circle-question.html

Think of it this way Stick.........A good release happens just under/in front of the rear shoulder.........In a good delivery, with good posture, the rear shoulder is over the rear hip.........AKA your other DD........

This one's posture has her back shoulder closer to her front leg then her back leg at release........So she may be throwing it under the back shoulder........But you don't see it at her rear hip because her rear shoulder is over toward her front leg at release..........

If you correct her posture and if she releases at her front leg she throw it over your head...........

Last edited:
May 22, 2012
sluggers, thanks for your feedback. I do believe Ken's comments (which are greatly appreciated) were directed at my younger daughter. Thank you for the images above. A little context, picture # 1 orange shirt was just step and throw (slowing things down to see WHYYY) the release point is off. Image two, blue shirt is full motion (albeit without a softball) Cold around these parts. Do what we can to practice! :)

Your point about your daughter throwing 50MPH from Stork supports the notion (to me) of how important arm whip is, and I am assuming your DD throws with IR. It also supports Boardmember's analysis below. My DD above is not throwing 50 even with full motion.

Long term for her, I would like to see overall good motion, in the meantime, we need to get her IR arm whip improved and more consistent. My main reason for posting is for some more sets of eyes on WHY she is releasing late.
Again sluggers, thank you.

Boardmember thank you for your feedback. So to fix this problem, she will need to be more open at release, with less glove arm and front side pulling her to the left side? yes? These two things will help get her rear shoulder over her rear hip?

Drill suggestions specifically for her issue?

Not always easy to tell when catching her, but at times when I think her form looks good, she misses WAY to the right (inside to a righty batter). would crossfire cannon drill be a good idea for her?

THANKS ALL!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is IR "critically" important, "extremely" important or just "important"? Who cares?

My main reason for posting is for some more sets of eyes on WHY she is releasing late.

You are asking a *TIMING* question, now a *HOW TO* question. The timing of pitching is based on the arm relative to the body. And, your DDs timing is messed up.

Her arm is behind her body, throwing off the timing, resulting in the release being late. Her arm is out of sync with her body. For maximum efficiency, the body and arm position should be in specific positions relative to each other.

I've attached sequences from Osterman and for Jenny Finch. Look at their arm position relative to their torso and their feet. At the 12 o-clock position, the non-push off foot is supposed to be off the ground.

Attachments

• finch-sequence.jpg
    finch-sequence.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 120
  • osterman motion.jpg
    osterman motion.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Boardmember thank you for your feedback. So to fix this problem, she will need to be more open at release, with less glove arm and front side pulling her to the left side? yes? These two things will help get her rear shoulder over her rear hip?

Drill suggestions specifically for her issue?

Not always easy to tell when catching her, but at times when I think her form looks good, she misses WAY to the right (inside to a righty batter). would crossfire cannon drill be a good idea for her?

Yes open more at release. And with better posture that will facilitate better ground force reaction up the chain.

Rear shoulder over the rear hip/leg. Rear shoulder over the back knee. Rear shoulder BEHIND the head, not even with it......

When you view posture..........This is what your mind has to see at plant............

2e4d81w.gif

And at release there is very little change in posture except it is narrower..........

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
BM, That is probably my favorite clip because it is so rich with information! I just love her hand/ball orientation from 9:00 through release. And yet my pitchers are constantly told "You need to get behind the ball going into release." I wish "Shut your pie hole!" was an appropriate response.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi