Relative value of candidates for those few college spots

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
If I was a college coach I would try to roster my team from the best possible TB players I can recruit as follows:

1. Pitchers that can hit.
2. Catchers that can hit.
3. Shortstops that can hit and run
4. 3B's that can hit.

Most shortstops will be turned into 2B's and OF's
Pitchers or catchers will play 1B when not pitching.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
If I was a college coach I would try to roster my team from the best possible TB players I can recruit as follows:

4. 3B's that can hit.

I agree with^^^ and would like to add , they all better love to bunt like the 2012 World Champs!

Oct 14, 2008
To add to the rest At D1 Unless your a Sito or Trana your not going to hit as a pitcher. Get used to the idea.

1) LH pitcher that throws 60 plus with a crap load of movement
2) RH pitcher to go with the lefty
3) Catcher that can catch and hit
4) ss type player
5) Power at the plate. Not just a hitter but true power

Any of these First 5 will get you a good chunk of money. The rest is divided up in half or quarter scholarships. Or maybe even as little as books if your looking at a Major D1

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
From the many coaches we talked to speed/slapper that can also hit for power was at the top of the list! This was number 3 on the list after pitcher-catcher. They want a true lead off hitter that can get on base and play havic with the defense. Most of these kids play SS or CF.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010

4. 3B's that can hit.

Glad for DD's sake to see you didn't add "and run" behind catchers. ;-)

Honestly, though, she's getting faster and is running up on her toes and not on her heels so much. I'm cautiously optimistic that there could be at least a couple of doubles this spring. For anyone who has a slow daughter, I recommend speed and agility training. There's always room for improvement!

Dec 7, 2011
For anyone who has a slow daughter, I recommend speed and agility training. There's always room for improvement!

HUGE fan of the above!

DD here went from "did she make it to first?" to "Holy crud she can move for a 6-footer!".

Lot's of dedication by DD to this training and if I had video comparing before/after you would say it was a whole different girl running.

Hey this is actually one REALLY GOOD thing I can report on what her HS has done for her!!!! (I knew I could find one :) )

Jul 22, 2012
To add to the rest At D1 Unless your a Sito or Trana your not going to hit as a pitcher. Get used to the idea.

1) LH pitcher that throws 60 plus with a crap load of movement
2) RH pitcher to go with the lefty
3) Catcher that can catch and hit
4) ss type player
5) Power at the plate. Not just a hitter but true power

Any of these First 5 will get you a good chunk of money. The rest is divided up in half or quarter scholarships. Or maybe even as little as books if your looking at a Major D1

Bdad is right on. My daughter recently started her freshman year at a top 50 D1 program. Colleges are looking for pitching, catching, hitting, hitting and hitting. If you can hit they will find a place for you in play in the field. Daughter was an infielder but will be playing outfield freshman year. I was told by several coaches the more positions a kid learns to play the the more recruitable that player will be. Again, if she can hit. A fast lefty slapper a bonus. Power hitter bonus. If you can hit, you'll get good scholarship money (>50%).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Im not a big fan of any player who is one dimensional. Pitchers who cant play a base or cant hit etc... Im sure there are rare cases of phenomenal pitchers who will add value to your team with a negative era number. But generally speaking. I prefer utility players who can help the team where ever I need them.

For our TB team we prefer pitchers who can bat and field another position, but that has a lot to do with the fact that it is easier to keep a player, and their parents, happy when they are playing 80% of the time. If a girl can only "pitch and sit" there is a good chance she is sitting 60-70% of the time - assuming the team has 3 pitchers. Unless a D1 pitcher has a BIG stick, I would imagine they pitch and sit just to avoid the possibility of getting hurt while batting, running the bases or fielding another position. It is not worth the injury risk to send your ace pitcher up to bat in the 9 hole when you can use a DH. How many American League baseball pitchers bat?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619