Relative value of candidates for those few college spots

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I was thinking it might be neat to poll you guys on where you think the overall "hire-ability" value is on different kinds of sb players.

We have all heard that pitchers go first then catchers then ss......etc

Here is what I would guess would be the heirarchy, in general, for a college coaching staff strategy for year after year total team development:
1. Pitcher who can hit and also is a utility player (usually at first base)
2. Pitcher who can hit
3. Catcher who can hit
4. Pitcher who might not be able to do anything else
5. SS who can hit
6. ….
7. ….
8. Somewhere in here is a speedy slapper.
9. ….
10. ….
11. ….
12. At the bottom would be anybody who can’t be a star hitter

Thoughts?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here at U of AZ. it seems to be #1 - pitcher (you will not hit, do not ask. Also, you will pitch, only.)
#2, is SS (We will make you a catcher.)
#3 infield athlete
#4 can run 2.7 to first base (We will tell you where you play.)
(My opinion only)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
#87,450,987,694. 1st Baseman who can only play 1st. (Number is only a rough guess.)

Dec 7, 2011
Here at U of AZ. it seems to be #1 - pitcher (you will not hit, do not ask. Also, you will pitch, only.)
#2, is SS (We will make you a catcher.)
#3 infield athlete
#4 can run 2.7 to first base (We will tell you where you play.)
(My opinion only)

Love these first couple responses.

Ya Amy I think you are hitting on the version for high-D1. I keep on seeing high-D1 as surreal.... :)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Im not a big fan of any player who is one dimensional. Pitchers who cant play a base or cant hit etc... Im sure there are rare cases of phenomenal pitchers who will add value to your team with a negative era number. But generally speaking. I prefer utility players who can help the team where ever I need them.

Im not a big fan of any player who is one dimensional. Pitchers who cant play a base or cant hit etc... Im sure there are rare cases of phenomenal pitchers who will add value to your team with a negative era number. But generally speaking. I prefer utility players who can help the team where ever I need them.

While in general this is true I think at most big D1 schools you will see the philosophy Amy talked about: pitchers pitch and that's it period are there ever exceptions, sure, but they are called exceptions for a reason odds are it is not you.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

Where do you take lessons to be a utility player? I had DD figure where she was going to be the best at, and work, work, work on that...If I was a coach, I would figure out where I was going to need them at tryouts.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Utility may be a good recipe for rec, HS, and some TB, but most college players excelled at P, C, SS, or CF when 14-18 yo. In college, many HS SSs get converted to other IF or OF, HS CFs to other OFs, and HS 1B to DP unless they have an exceptional glove. Japan's last Olympic SB team had an infield of 4 SS!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619