Rear Hip Isolation - Resistance Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When she was younger she had big time drag with the elbow getting way ahead of the hands and then pulling through. I think the hand push/lead arm pull may be her adjustment to this trying to keep hands ahead of the elbow.

IMO, she still has an issue with 'bat drag'.

While not a popular opinion, IMO 'bat drag' is simply "dragging the barrel" ... which is what I see your daughter doing. The observation that the elbow is ahead of the hands at the "RVP connection point" is how many folks "confirm" the presence of "bat drag" ... but IMO it's still possible to get to what some perceive as a clean "RVP connection point" position and still have dragged the barrel. An alternative viewpoint is that if you are not rotating the barrel to 'contact' that you are instead 'dragging' the barrel to contact ... and that viewpoint exists regardless of the "RVP connection point" position.

Don't get me wrong ... I believe it is important to pass through a 'clean' "RVP connection point" in the swing ... but by rotating the barrel to contact ... and much of the responsibility for that rotation of the barrel, IMO, resides in the top hand/forearm.

Just an opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Bob

I think when you try the rope drill, you will feel it all come together. I saw this while observing a cable system being used to improve the side ward move as used in hitting with the feet planted.

I know you are busy so grab some rope from the construction crew...just kidding!

Thanks Howard

Don't ever accuse me of not being resourceful or open-minded! :)

15326_385627474107_17610499107_4802102_6263165_n.jpg

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Just did a quick trial, had somebody hold it at various locations behind me. The feeling is different, but I'm not sure I like it. There is more pull from the shoulders than feel in the hands.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
She is my daughter.
I would have guess left shoulder complex. I will ask.

No, this has not been an area of conversation. At this point terms and phrases she would be familiar with and sick of which have helped develop the swing you are seeing are:

"Maintain the Box"
"Try to stay connected as you rotate"
"maintain your front arm angle" - (which she doesn't in the clip)
"we've got to solve this bat drag issue with your elbow getting ahead of your hands"
"soft step onto front side"
"hands above barrel"
"knee and laces to pitcher"

those are just a few. Describe slotting as you would describe it to her.

Ihowser, some of what you wrote reminds me of what I was going through with my DD. Especially items 2, 3 & 4. What worked for us is a focus on getting the bat started correctly, which I view as the same thing as getting the palms flat correctly. It really helped my DD to stay Connected. It also helped with the lead arm angle and getting the hips out front naturally without having to think about it.

I haven't used the term Stay Connected or Maintain Your Front Elbow, in months.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Just did a quick trial, had somebody hold it at various locations behind me. The feeling is different, but I'm not sure I like it. There is more pull from the shoulders than feel in the hands.

Bob this is exactly why I wanted you to try it so you can figure out more of the bottom to the top and how it connects in my opinion.

Without the resistance of the bottom up and the elbows connected it is like a link in the chain is missing to me.

Difficult to pull unless from the bottom up and not easy to push and leave the legs out and more difficult to work bottom up with out the resistance in the hands and hips either.

I thought you would enjoy the challenge.

I have this set up with a rope and several eye bolts at various heights and the rope is attached to stretch tubing.

I had a DP Gym Pack and used the weights on the cable and the pulley and had a cut off bat handle like you have attached to the cable and you pulled the weight up the rail.

You had to have a good foundation to move it smoothly or you found yourself trying to lean into it to get it up.

Thanks Howard

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Bob this is exactly why I wanted you to try it so you can figure out more of the bottom to the top and how it connects in my opinion.

Without the resistance of the bottom up and the elbows connected it is like a link in the chain is missing to me.

Difficult to pull unless from the bottom up and not easy to push and leave the legs out and more difficult to work bottom up with out the resistance in the hands and hips either.

I thought you would enjoy the challenge.

I have this set up with a rope and several eye bolts at various heights and the rope is attached to stretch tubing.

I had a DP Gym Pack and used the weights on the cable and the pulley and had a cut off bat handle like you have attached to the cable and you pulled the weight up the rail.

You had to have a good foundation to move it smoothly or you found yourself trying to lean into it to get it up.

Thanks Howard

Howard, I tried this again with some of my players and we all feel the same thing. All the tension is in the arms and shoulders. We tried with robe and resistance bands from every angle behind the hitter and there are some places where you can get resistance on the hands, but why not just use the bat? I understand what you are saying about moving the weight stack with the lower body, but I really don't like the resistance being felt anywhere but the rear hip and hands.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Really Very Powerful?
Ross V Perot?
Rip Via Pitcher?

What is RVP Connection Point?

Without getting into the RVP (RightView Pro) description of "addition" ... let me simply state that there is a common position, that has been identified by several hitting systems, in which the high-level swing passes through.

o The RVP system refers to it as the "Connection Point".
o Mankin refers to it as the "Power-V" position.
o Emanski refers to it as the "Explosion Point" position.
o HI refers to it as the "Swearing In Position".
o Yeager refers to it as "Down through the nipple".

They all refer to this position shown below ...

image001.gif

image003.gif

image007.gif

In the above clips you can see the "Power-V" position highlighted in 'red' ... that being a pinched forearm-to-bicep as the hands pass by the rear shoulder ... aligning the hands, rear shoulder, rear elbow, and rear hip.

Then there is the "Lazy-L" position, which you'll want to avoid ....

image009.gif

And then there is the flaw in which the rear elbow is seen to be ahead, at this position, which many people use as confirmation of 'bat drag'. That said, a good swing will boarder on 'bat drag' ... and hence I'm not a big fan of ultra conservative approaches that restrict 'bat drag' to the point of taking a kid 'away from the pattern'.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45