Rear Hip Isolation - Resistance Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks FFS. Your dots on the Busto's swing my help me connect some dots on my DD's swing. Would the Busto's swing start the same on an inside pitch and where is the adjustment then on the inside pitch. More rotation in hip and shoulder? Earlier contact point?

I do not have a lot of video clips of Busto's ... but what we believe we've learned from studying video of MLB players in a similar pattern, is that the "start" of the swing is identical regardless of location.

Oct 25, 2009
MTS, what you are describing, IMO, is that the hand pivot point is reasonable. That is certainly a positive attribute of a good swing.

IMO, 'good' is a relative term, and this swing could be made much better.

Notice the barrel path of this young lady. In the GIF below, focus on the tip of the barrel and track it as the video progresses. To me this is somewhat revealing of her "actions under the hood" ... and to me she resembles a "knob puller".

HollySpano_BarrelPath.gif

Now look at someone like Cystal and track the tip of her bat ... you'll see a completely different barrel path, and something, that from my perspective, is in the pattern.

CrystalBustos_Olympics_BarrelPath.gif

To me, these two hitters are using completely different "actions under the hood" to bring the barrel to contact.

The critical difference in the two swings is from the waist down. Holly leads with her arms; her back foot is locked out, causing her to sway instead of rotate; the lack of hip action also contributes to the bag drag. Fix the bottom half first.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The critical difference in the two swings is from the waist down. Holly leads with her arms; her back foot is locked out, causing her to sway instead of rotate; the lack of hip action also contributes to the bag drag. Fix the bottom half first.

Working the lower body first would be one approach.

Another approach would be to give the upper body the correct role (which, IMO is not yanking the barrel to contact) and to see how the lower body responds.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio

Yes, that is why I have an interest in the drill this post is demonstrating. We've been discussing it but since she is at HS tryouts now we have only had time to do a little work in the mirror. I am hoping if we can improve the lower and the connection and launch in the upper body (perhaps with some of the principles FFS and Chris have discussed here...somehow in my brain I hear some of what they are saying as being on the same page) we can let the ball get a little deeper and be able to read the pitch a little longer. She gets her hands way out front which can hurt on that outside pitch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, that is why I have an interest in the drill this post is demonstrating. We've been discussing it but since she is at HS tryouts now we have only had time to do a little work in the mirror. I am hoping if we can improve the lower and the connection and launch in the upper body (perhaps with some of the principles FFS and Chris have discussed here...somehow in my brain I hear some of what they are saying as being on the same page) we can let the ball get a little deeper and be able to read the pitch a little longer. She gets her hands way out front which can hurt on that outside pitch.

IMO, the drill that Tewks is recommending will help your daughter's lower body.

Notice that the start of Tewks' drill begins in what I refer to as the Deltoid position. This, IMO, is for a good reason. The rear forearm starts vertical ... and from here the drill will proceed with a focus on rotation/thrusting.

One of the issues with your daughter's swing, IMO, is in how she would get to the "RVP connection point" from her launch position ... something this drill purposely bypasses because of the start from the Deltoid position. In other words ... the drill does not focus on "how" the hands get flat, so much as on how the rear hip is responsible for bringing the barrel to contact from this position. IMO, you'll also want to address "how" the hands get "flat".

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Exactly. While your drill will help address her lower body, she would, IMO, still need to address this area of her swing.

Is this your daughter or student? If yes, ask where she feels tension/resistance when she initiates her swing. If I had t bet, I'd say she either won't know or she will try it and conclude it is in her right elbow and/or bicep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid