Rear Hip Isolation - Resistance Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
She is my daughter.
ask where she feels tension/resistance when she initiates her swing.
I would have guess left shoulder complex. I will ask.

Has this player been taught to "slot" the rear elbow?

No, this has not been an area of conversation. At this point terms and phrases she would be familiar with and sick of which have helped develop the swing you are seeing are:

"Maintain the Box"
"Try to stay connected as you rotate"
"maintain your front arm angle" - (which she doesn't in the clip)
"we've got to solve this bat drag issue with your elbow getting ahead of your hands"
"soft step onto front side"
"hands above barrel"
"knee and laces to pitcher"

those are just a few. Describe slotting as you would describe it to her.

Feb 18, 2010
Describe slotting as you would describe it to her.

See how your back elbow is slamming down into your ribcage??? STOP THAT!!!!

LOL!!

Just kidding lhowser but that is elbow slotting. I would rather see her elbows move as if they had one of Howards Connector devices in between them. As the rear elbow goes down the lead elbow goes up.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
She is my daughter.

No, this has not been an area of conversation. At this point terms and phrases she would be familiar with and sick of which have helped develop the swing you are seeing are:

"Maintain the Box"
"we've got to solve this bat drag issue with your elbow getting ahead of your hands"
"hands above barrel"

The concept of slotting the elbow, as I understand it, is how the back elbow drives down to get the swing on plane. The feel is in driving the elbow down, not controlling the barrel with the hands.

Almost all of the instruction I do revolves around getting the feel to settle in two places - the rear hip and the hands.

Oct 25, 2009
She is my daughter.

"Maintain the Box"
"hands above barrel"

A drill that I have found to be very effective for hip rotation:

Have the batter take a full swing for a down the middle pitch and freeze at the end of the swing.
Now have her keep her lower half frozen in her finish position. (Belly button facing pitcher, front leg braced, back leg bent in reverse "L", on the toes of back foot.)
Bring the top half back to launch position.
Swing from that position at soft toss or hitting stick.

I call this my number 2 drill because it used to be my 2nd drill. The girls call it number 2 for a different reason. It's tough on the back calf; uncomfortable in general. After a few soft tosses we go back to regular position. After a few cycles of this they remember to fire the back hip.

When the back hip starts the swing it clears the frontal area for the upper half to do what it does.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
The concept of slotting the elbow, as I understand it, is how the back elbow drives down to get the swing on plane. The feel is in driving the elbow down, not controlling the barrel with the hands.

Almost all of the instruction I do revolves around getting the feel to settle in two places - the rear hip and the hands.

Bob

I think when you try the rope drill, you will feel it all come together. I saw this while observing a cable system being used to improve the side ward move as used in hitting with the feet planted.

I know you are busy so grab some rope from the construction crew...just kidding!

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2009
Bob

I think when you try the rope drill, you will feel it all come together. I saw this while observing a cable system being used to improve the side ward move as used in hitting with the feet planted.

I know you are busy so grab some rope from the construction crew...just kidding!

Thanks Howard

I know you are busy Tewks as we can all see by the construction but if you could tape Hitter's rope drill I would be very interested to see it.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio

When she was younger she had big time drag with the elbow getting way ahead of the hands and then pulling through. I think the hand push/lead arm pull may be her adjustment to this trying to keep hands ahead of the elbow.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
See how your back elbow is slamming down into your ribcage??? STOP THAT!!!!

LOL!!

Just kidding lhowser but that is elbow slotting. I would rather see her elbows move as if they had one of Howards Connector devices in between them. As the rear elbow goes down the lead elbow goes up.

Funny Cartersball … but that actually isn’t too far off from an approach that might work.

When dealing with high speed athletic movements I believe it sometimes helps to speak more in terms of “what to do” and less in terms of “what not to do”.

So yes, the elbow will “start” to lower via external rotation of the rear humerus in the rear shoulder socket. This will be brief … at which point, believe it or not, she should ‘try’ to “resist” the elbow being lowered via the adduction of rear humerus … although there will still be some adduction of the rear humerus taking place … this will encourage her shoulders to ‘laterally tilt’, as her hips turn in the direction towards the pitcher, ahead of her shoulders turning ahead in the direction of the pitcher … in a sense, the ‘lateral tilt’ will serve as a “breaking action” for the rotation of the shoulders in the direction of the pitcher, to enable hip/shoulder spatial separation to occur ‘naturally’. In parallel with the ‘tilt’, there will be a force directed by the top hand/forearm on the handle of the bat that will be in a direction perpendicular to the barrel … the force would be in the direction of supination of the rear forearm. One arrives at the “RVP connection point” assisted by a brief initial action of external rotation of the rear humerus, followed by a combination of lateral tilt, body rotation, an application of force on the rear forearm that some refer to as ‘swivel’, and adduction of the rear humerus … and not primarily humerus adduction as we see here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45