Ready To Pull The Trigger On A Nokona....or??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
I want to get my daughter a solid webbed mitt and the Nokona looks like a very solid piece. Any other gloves I might want to consider before I purchase?

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
The Nokona is top notch, and highly recommended by a lot of folks, especially the kangaroo leather. I know the Worth Liberty gets a lot of positive reviews also. FWIW, my DD uses the Mizuno, which bought out SSK - her prior mitt of choice. She's 16 and one of our pitchers is mid to high 60's and it works great.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
My DD likes Mizuno gloves, she has tried others, but she likes the fit of the Mizuno catchers the best. She used a GXS53 (solid web) last season. She given a new GXS31 to break in over the winter. This glove feels very solid, much more than the other Mizunos she owned. although its an open web, it has a great pocket, deeper than the GXS53. Might be worth a look.

Jan 28, 2010
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I had seen that Mizuno GXS53 online and it was on my "list" but I never found one at a store or sporting goods to handle it. I may swing back that way hearing your thoughts. How tough was the break in period?

sru

Jun 20, 2008
She got the glove about one month before the start of last season, and had it broken in for opening day. Unless she was fielding, she used the glove at every practice to break it in. After one season (70+ games and close to 80 practices) the glove is in perfect shape. Mizuno also has the GXS32, which appears to be the same glove as the GXS31, but with a solid web and different color scheme. Both are fairly light, she has never complained of the weight.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I want to get my daughter a solid webbed mitt and the Nokona looks like a very solid piece. Any other gloves I might want to consider before I purchase?

IIRC, Nokona was recently bought out. I don't know how it will/has affected them, good or bad. I'd ask a lot of questions of the vendor I would be buying from to ensure that the quality, warrantee, and customer service would still meet my expectations.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
My DD likes Mizuno gloves, she has tried others, but she likes the fit of the Mizuno catchers the best. She used a GXS53 (solid web) last season. She given a new GXS31 to break in over the winter. This glove feels very solid, much more than the other Mizunos she owned. although its an open web, it has a great pocket, deeper than the GXS53. Might be worth a look.

sru - MY DD has the GXS31. She thought it broke in better than the Nokona, FWIW, her hands are on the smaller side and she finds it an easy glove to make the transition to her throwing hand with.

Jan 28, 2010
China USA

Ok I like how those Mizunos look but man it sure seems expensive for a China made mitt (why are they so much more expensive than the GXS53?). Nokonas are still made in the USA?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Luvs the Worth Liberty

My DD got a Worth Liberty and loves it. Although it takes a bit longer to break in, the glove can make a slow change up sound (pop) like a 70 MPH fastball! Her pitchers love it too for that very reason.

Jun 21, 2010
I bought my DD ( 12U ) three mitts to compare and she picked a smaller lighter Mizuno--I think it's the GSX-100. Inexpensive mitt. BTW, one of the HS catchers who has worked with my DD also has the same mitt and loves it. I recently purchased a Nokona Buffalo Combo CM275BCCW mitt for myself. Stiff mitt out of the wrapper, but with some conditioner and use it's coming along quite nicely. Not sure I would buy such a mitt for my DD. DD also kept the Louisville Slugger TPS Catalyst. She uses that one just for playing catch with dad ( both my Nokona and this mitt in same bag ). She likes it because it's broken in fast, but still a little heavier than the Mizuno. I'd go with Ball Glove Wearhouse to make the purchase. Great return policy--they include the prepaid return shipping label with the gloves.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi