Raising a nation of wimps?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Good example... Tuesday night during our all star practice my 7yo DD laid out for a ball in the hole between first and second, snagged it, then popped up and tagged first. All of the moms, my wife included, were saying is she ok, go check on her, and make sure she did not scrape her hip and knees while the other coaches and myself were standing there asking each other did you see that. I went over to her telling her how cool that was but I could tell she could not decide if it hurt or not. After a high five from Daddy and a few more great play's from the other coaches and she was fine.

If we baby them they will act like it. if we make a big deal out of something good or bad we will see it in them.

Jan 15, 2009
Maybe this is a regional thing. I see girls now playing hockey and some even wrestling and the hottest growing sport in our state is Lacrosse which on the mens side is Hockey on grass where 90% of slashing is not only legal but encouraged. I'm hoping they reform girls Lacrosse and Hockey to allow them to be more physical because clearly the girls want it that way. My daughter saw a boys Lacrosse game and would have gone over to the dark side for sure, but when she found out the girls aren't allowed to check and slash like the boys she said forget it. For every kid who wants to come out of a game with a hang nail I see two that keep pitching after a linedrive raises a goose egg on their shin. Yeah there is more safety equipment, but kids are taking way more risks than we did as well. When I was a kid maybe 20% of the kids at a ski hill were going off jumps and they were usually 4 ft high and torn down by the ski patrol as soon as you could build them up. No one wore helmets then, now when you go to ski/board park 80% of the kids are in the terrain park and yes most wear helmets, but they are also doing tricks and things we hadn't even dreamed up.

A couple of seasons ago, my dd got drilled in the cheek (sun was blocking her vision from catching the throw). She hustled to get the ball, made the play and then started (quietly) crying. The other parents looked at me like I was insane because I didn't rush right out there to check on her. I figured that was her coach's job - he was right there (plays 1st) and saw it first hand. I told the parents who were busy running their mouths scolding me that if I had seen blood or a bone protruding from her skin, I'd have gone out to make sure she was okay. Bumps and bruises will disappear and maybe next time, she'll remember to put on her sunglasses! May sound harsh, but dd is certainly not a cry baby and knows how much better it's going to feel when it stops hurting! :)

Last summer, her coach had a late afternoon practice. His daughter (10 playing 12u) was pitching. He nailed the ball straight back to her - dropped her on the mound, hitting her square in the eye. He sent me pictures - I hadn't seen an eye look that bad ever. He said he put ice on it and they finished practice - took her home, not to the er. Told him then to get her a face mask. She still doesn't have one.

I think if they are offering things out there to protect your face, it is wise to get one, especially if you are in a vulnerable position. My dd hates wearing her's, but has seen what can happen if she doesn't. Just my two cents...

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Player on my DD's team never gets through a practice or a tournament without being "hurt" and crying. Sometimes it's mulitple "injuries" and crying sessions. We don't baby her, and the players pretty much ignore it any more. Which is too bad, because sometime when she's really injured it's going to be tough to tell.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00