Raising a nation of wimps?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
well...yes.

Taking this to softball, we had a game a few weeks ago where a batter on the other team got hit on the leg by a pitch that had hit the ground first. She dropped her bat and stood there wailing, while ALL 5 COACHES rushed out to the plate to make sure she was ok! This was a 10 year old...Whatever happened to rubbing a little dirt on it?

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
well...yes.

Taking this to softball, we had a game a few weeks ago where a batter on the other team got hit on the leg by a pitch that had hit the ground first. She dropped her bat and stood there wailing, while ALL 5 COACHES rushed out to the plate to make sure she was ok! This was a 10 year old...Whatever happened to rubbing a little dirt on it?

You can only rub dirt on it if you immediately clean it with sanitizer, anti-biotic ointment and bandage the area completely to keep out the germs that might make that bruise turn septic.

Apr 13, 2010
I got accused by another dad once of not being "compassionate" enough to my DD after she suffered a little bruise and I told her to tough it out.

Feb 9, 2009
You can only rub dirt on it if you immediately clean it with sanitizer, anti-biotic ointment and bandage the area completely to keep out the germs that might make that bruise turn septic.

OMG!!! My side hurts from too much laughing!!!

Jan 20, 2010
I got accused by another dad once of not being "compassionate" enough to my DD after she suffered a little bruise and I told her to tough it out.

LOL! I got that when my daughter was beaned and after rubbing some dirt on it told her to tell the ump she just wanted it to be ruled a ball and keep hitting (this was her rec team of course).

Mar 15, 2010
Anybody else on this board remember when we were kids and used the knees of our Toughskins to stop the Big Wheel while riding barefoot and without a helmet? Nowadays our kids would be required to wear moto cross helmets and full riding gear..

Apr 2, 2010
I teach over 800 different children in a 7 day period, and I can definitely see that this type of parenting has reached epidemic proportions. Excuses, exceptions, and multiple chances have become the norm. If a child makes bad behavioral choices and is reprimanded or redirected, the teacher is picking on the child and causing embarrassment. I'm thinking a little embarrassment can be a good thing when you're acting like a jerk. "My precious darling didn't make the top band/choir/orchestra/team? It must be because the director/coach doesn't like her." How about, little Suzy doesn't practice enough and didn't know her stuff. Johnny is one of over 800 kiddos seen by a teacher, but the teacher should be e-mailing his parents every time he receives a warning for misbehaving or not following directions. (Here I'd like to point out that there are probably 20 Johnny's who have parents that want an update every time they enter my room) How dare a child receive a poor conduct grade? You must be (racist/sexist/elitist). A good friend of mine is a school nurse, and she kills me with stories about some of the things she sees. Teachers send children to the nurse for ridiculous things. It's funny though, it doesn't take them long in my room to figure out that unless they are buring up with fever, suffer a significant head injury, or are bleeding profusely they're not going anywhere. Bump your knee? No, you don't need ice. Take a deep breath, blow it out. You're a big (girl/boy). Scratched your elbow riding your bike two days ago? No, you don't need a band-aid. You have a migraine? Really? You're sure it's not just a headache. We'll maybe if you start having fun it will get your mind off it. (Works 99% of the time.) Parents and even to some degree, teachers won't let children fail. We bend over backwards to ensure smooth waters for their precious little psyches. We called these types of parents "helicopter parents" about ten years ago. Now, it's gotten so bad we have a new term, parents who have gone "Black Hawk Down".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad