Radar guns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2011
Think i wanna get one to play around with.Anyone have a recommendation on brand?Dont wanna break the bank but dont want garbage either.tyvm in advance

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I can tell you in a while how good it is...cause i ordered one...should be here anytime in fact. I can also tell you two that i have returned since Christmas! :) Without mentioning names...one is a hands free "trac" unit and the other is a low end gun that i could of thrown in the "bush". I am really trying to stay away from a 800.00 radar...as i need a new fish finder! :)

An indoor facility has one of these and it seems very good. Stalker-Sports2-Radar-Gun

Jul 26, 2010
You can find a "hot wheels" radar gun on ebay for under $60 or new on Amazon for about $70. They are as accurate as the other types commonly sold by sporting goods stores, and are frequently used by robotics hobbyists for hacking in order to make self guided vehicles and such.

For about $10 more you can get the Bushnell, which has the exact same hardware on the inside but a more "insecure ego" friendly appearance. Personally, I'd go with the hot wheels. The kids like it, and since everyone is going to laugh at you anyway if you bring a radar gun to a game, you might as well have a sense of humor about it.

-W

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Just go to the toy store and but a kids toy that looks like a radar gun. Then put a piece of tape on it and write 60. Afterall, every dad who looks at it will see that number anyway. Good luck and let us know how your choice of gun works out. I have wondered how the less expensive models compare with accuracy. Would be nice to hear from some people who have used them.

Jul 26, 2010
I've used the hot wheels and bushnell next to the $700 Juggs. The difference is +/- 1-2mph.

If you're trying for the most accurate reading, then spend the extra $600. If you want to track progress from month to month in both top speed and speed differential between pitches (more important) then the cheap models are fine.

You shouldn't care if your daughter or player pitches 55mph or 57mph. What you should care about is that she pitched 50 in January and 55 in July, or that she had a 50mph fastball and 45mph changeup, and now she has a 50mph fastball and a 38mph changeup.

-W

Jan 4, 2011
I can tell you in a while how good it is...cause i ordered one...should be here anytime in fact. I can also tell you two that i have returned since Christmas! :) Without mentioning names...one is a hands free "trac" unit and the other is a low end gun that i could of thrown in the "bush". I am really trying to stay away from a 800.00 radar...as i need a new fish finder! :)

Now you are talking my language.I can finally contribute instead of take,take ,take all the time.:)Let me recommend a fish finder for you.Get the Lowrance hds series and add the side scan.I have the hds 10" (in the console)networked to a hds 7" at the bow(trolling motor) on my TRITON.I have the side scan linked up to the console grapH.Trust me you wont be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 30, 2009
I have owned a Bushnell and then a juggs sold them and bought a new unit last year called pocket radar small and works great ive tested it against many other doubters guns stalkers juggs and its spot on every time maybe a 1/2 mph off only cause it does not display in 1/2 it very small fit in pocket and great for checking pitchers at tournament etc without standing out ... heres a link check it out

Pocket Radar™ - Pocket Sized Speed Radar Gun

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2011
Thanx for the response.I did some research and the best fit for me was the pocket radar.Ordered it from amazon w/free shipping will be here tomorrow.This is by far the best fast pitch site on the net for information sharing!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA