Radar guns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
"hot wheels" radar gun on ebay for under $60 or new on Amazon for about $70.

-W

Now thats my kind of radar gun! If the pocket radar doesn't work out, you may see me at the field lookin spiffy with my Hot Wheels gun!

Get the Lowrance hds series and add the side scan.

Very nice units! Side imaging is amazing. I have a 1198 Humminbird and 898 both side imaging...wanting to mount another on console for gps only. Check your messages.

Nov 29, 2009
Now thats my kind of radar gun! If the pocket radar doesn't work out, you may see me at the field lookin spiffy with my Hot Wheels gun!

Very nice units! Side imaging is amazing. I have a 1198 Humminbird and 898 both side imaging...wanting to mount another on console for gps only. Check your messages.

The heck with all the fancy fish finding equipment. Just toss a few sticks of lit dynamite in the lake or river at random places and you'll have all the fish you can eat. Just be sure Ranger Rick isn't anywhere near...

Feb 17, 2011
one thing i see a lot of people do wrong with any radar gun they have is not factoring in the degrees off line they are from the pitch path. just a 5 degree angle off of the true pitch line will result in a lower reading. many of the better ones have a chart in the "instructions" (i read them one day by accident i guess) to correct for this and it does make a difference

Feb 19, 2011
I just got a Pocket Radar after using a friends during travel ball last year. I like the fact that the girls don't necessarily know when you are using it. I was told by the company that you can even use it through a light coat or jacket. I'm anxious to try the base running feature at practice.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I just got a Pocket Radar after using a friends during travel ball last year. I like the fact that the girls don't necessarily know when you are using it. I was told by the company that you can even use it through a light coat or jacket. I'm anxious to try the base running feature at practice.

Keep in mind that "time" is more important than "speed". Quickness and the ability to get to top speed very quick is as important as the top speed itself.

Oh yeah, and i have one of those Hot Wheels guns. Never was able to track a ball, but I can see how fast cars are going past my house. :(

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Played with my new pocket radar this week. I like it...it reads so fast though... that its hard to get the extra grandfather speed! :)

Couple of things.. I haven't been able to read bat speed with it...doesn't seem to work for that. And...with alot movement in the background...it does jump around alot...or if pressed quickly and released can read other movement when alot of movement is in background.

Jan 4, 2011
I found clear line of site also to be a key w/the unit.And like stated above knowing the reading based on the degrees off center line is important.I played w/that at a game this weekend and 10' left of center slowed the same pitch down on the unit roughly 4mph.As soon as i figure out how to get that grandfather speed i ll drop a line.We are still experimenting but im glad for the wrist strap it has saved the unit a few times( in our grandfather speed experiments)

Nov 17, 2010
So 10' to the left = 4 mph? All I have to do is stand 100' away and my daughter's bound for glory with an 80mph fastball! Woo hoo!

Mar 19, 2009
Pocket Radar

I have owned a Bushnell and then a juggs sold them and bought a new unit last year called pocket radar small and works great ive tested it against many other doubters guns stalkers juggs and its spot on every time maybe a 1/2 mph off only cause it does not display in 1/2 it very small fit in pocket and great for checking pitchers at tournament etc without standing out ... heres a link check it out

Pocket Radar™ - Pocket Sized Speed Radar Gun

My daughter's college coach was showing his pocket radar at at tournament yesterday. He felt that it read 1-2 mph quicker then his juggs gun but was easier to carry around. It looks the same as the dad that was standing behind the back stop filming his DD pitch, looked the same as a flip like camera. He said most of the college coaches were switching to these because of the ease of use and being inconspicuous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA