Questions about lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
I’m puzzled by this whole thread. Who is working on mechanics after 14U? DD is 13 and has thrown thousands of pitches. Her muscle memory is pretty well ingrained. By the time a kid hits 15, her mechanics are either pretty sound or else she’s found another position to play.

In a typical lesson, her coach spends 80 percent of the time calling out spots to hit, and then making very small adjustments to maximize a pitch’s effectiveness. She does things like burpees when she misses more than 35% of a sequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even pitchers in college still work on mechanics. They wouldn’t be there if they relied on what they were doing at 14U.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Find this conversation a bit silly.
Every pitcher i know works on location!
Every instructor i know speaks about importance of location and includes work spots.
*Location is the goal of mechanics!
(example throwing same pitch to different locations is more useful... than same pitch same spot over and over)

At all ages competitive level
of 10u travel and up...
Pitchers learn very quickly cant just throw over the plate.
Aside from foolish coaches who may say throw it down the middle,
even 10u catchers are aware of atleast inside outside.
At 12u up/down gets added.

Those who comment pitcher's work on mechanics at all levels, sure agree...
*However they have a tactical purpose of directing the ball to specific locations.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Find this conversation a bit silly.
Every pitcher i know works on location!
Every instructor i know speaks about importance of location and includes work spots.
(example throwing same pitch to different locations is more useful... than same pitch same spot over and over)

At all ages competitive level
of 10u travel and up...
Pitchers learn very quickly cant just throw over the plate.
Aside from foolish coaches who may say throw it down the middle,
even 10u catchers are aware of atleast inside outside.
At 12u up/down gets added.

Those who comment pitcher's work on mechanics at all levels, sure agree...
*However they have a tactical purpose of directing the ball to specific locations.
Of course Turbo but without mechanics a pitcher isn't going to consistently hit those locations.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Or, am I totally off and hitting a location is a very difficult skill to learn that most girls can't learn it?

Our first, thankfully it was the first so the foundation was set, pitching coach probably did something like 90% mechanics and 10% location. No other pitching coach we have seen talked about location or taught it.

The only person who can teach the pitcher control is the pitcher.

Real control, the kind you see in the NCAA, is being able to move the ball in four inch increments around the plate. To get that kind of control, the pitcher has to spend hours and hours in the backyard throwing.

The difference between a ball hitting the outside black of the plate and a ball hitting the outside white of the plate is too small for a coach or parent to give some kind of "magic formula". The stuff about stepping left, striding longer, etc. are very general hints...they aren't gospel.

Also, a big part of "control" really has nothing to do with pitching mechanics. The pitcher has to learn how to identify the umpire's strike zone, and then pitch to that strike zone.

The pitcher has to adjust to the ump's zone, not the other way around. Softball umpires rarely have the perfect strike zone described in the rule book.

Once a pitcher determine the ump's zone, then the pitcher has to make small adjustments to the pitch location.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Of course Turbo but without mechanics a pitcher isn't going to consistently hit those locations.
Could simply say
One without the other is nothing.

Or could go with a debate/discussion and ask..

Would you rather have a pitcher who can hit multiple spots making it a good usable pitch?
Or a pitcher who has good mechanics but can only throw the pitch to the same spot?

There are atleast two things going on
1. Control the body.
2. Control the ball.
Since the goal is to not throw every pitch to the same spot
Location becomes as important
( or possible more important)
to achieve a successful pitch.

My interpretation on this topic from the op is do pitchers only work mechanics.
The answer is NO

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
To add another way of looking at this.
Hitters work on a mechanically correct swing.
However if batters dont work on swings at all pitch locations they will not learn the adjustment needed in their swing to hit all pitch locations.
(every swing will not be exactly the same, because there will be adjustments)

Pitchers have an adjustment somewhere within their mechanics to make the same pitch go to different locations.
This is learned mechanic to locations.
Not willy nilly mental telepathy as the pitch is flying to the plate. :)

Btw everyone who throws the ball works on both.
Mechanics and Accuracy.
Will say some pay more attention to details than others.
Like catchers throwing to a spot. Not just anywhere to the defense.

Jul 22, 2015
The only person who can teach the pitcher control is the pitcher.

Real control, the kind you see in the NCAA, is being able to move the ball in four inch increments around the plate. To get that kind of control, the pitcher has to spend hours and hours in the backyard throwing.
This. Proper, repeatable mechanics lead to the ability to have consistent control. But, thousands of reps are the path to actually being able to do it in every game.

Apr 20, 2017
I would say it depends on the pitcher and instructor. But for us in 14u we spend most of the time at lessons working on mechanics. If a particular pitch has not been working we will work on it. And some work on the rise ball. I feel that location is worked on at home using good mechanics. We separate days and have some days that are mechanics when no games are coming. And location days when getting ready for games. I would not be happy paying for someone to tell us if she hit a called spot. Now there are times we will schedule a extra lesson before a big tournament and mostly throw just locations to fine tune. But those are not normal lessons.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Heres another twist on perspective.
There are athletes who have bad mechanics and good results!
What then ?! 💁

Look for their success! ;)

Btw caught many pitchers who went to same instructors.
Not one pitcher was exactly the same. Similar, but not exactly.
Its just a reminder to find what works for the individual and look for the success in the results!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

This ^^^ DD has been working with the same pitching coach for 7 years. His focus is that using the proper mechanics will help speed and location. If she is struggling to hit spots, she focuses on mechanics. Typically at this point she can feel if she is doing something wrong and if she needs to make an adjustment. As a junior in college, she typically only sees her pitching instructor during the summer or over Christmas break. Otherwise she will just text him once in a while to discuss how things are going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma