Question: When do increases in speed taper off?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Was talking to the father of a pitcher on our team this weekend and he was saying the greatest increases in speed where between 12-14. This seemed reasonable. The then stated that by 16 a kid was about as fast as she was going to get save a mile or two. This I found hard to believe as kids naturally get stronger as they fill in especially if they are doing any kind of strength and conditioning work outs.

Am I wrong? partially? I'd like to hear from some parents of older pitchers or some instructors.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Of course, it depends on how much work they are going to put into it. Many of the gals that I am familiar with, made really great progress between their freshman and sophomore years of college. I would rather talk about years pitched than, ages. Some of my 10yo students are throwing pretty well, right now, but they have had a year of lessons. I think that the greatest jump in speed comes after 2 years of good mechanics and experience. But, if at 16, you think that you know all that there is to know, I bet you won't get any increase in speed. Always set goals and strive to reach them.

Dec 7, 2011
Little feedback on my DD's progress:
(game speeds of FB/RB)
10 - 45mph
11 - 50mph
12 - 52mph
13 - 53mph
14 - 54mph
15 - 55mph
16 - 58mph
17 - 62mph

Initial "getting serious" led to the increase at 11yrs with goodness learned from first PC.
Stagnated a bit after that. (seemed more focus on learning different pitches at that span from 12-15)
DD definitely then saw bigger increases when her body really started to mature.

(but of course this could vary greatly from kid to kid)
(also - at 12yrs old I had to ditch my Bushnell that pegged at 52 and use Juggs then PocketRadar)

Now how fast will she be her senior year in HS....? Well it might not be a good comparison coming off the broken back. It will be interesting.

Dec 7, 2011
Little feedback on my DD's progress:
(game speeds of FB/RB)
10 - 45mph
11 - 50mph
12 - 52mph
13 - 53mph
14 - 54mph
15 - 55mph
16 - 58mph
17 - 62mph

Initial "getting serious" led to the increase at 11yrs with goodness learned from first PC.
Stagnated a bit after that. (seemed more focus on learning different pitches at that span from 12-15)
DD definitely then saw bigger increases when her body really started to mature.

(but of course this could vary greatly from kid to kid)
(also - at 12yrs old I had to ditch my Bushnell that pegged at 52 and use Juggs then PocketRadar)

Now how fast will she be her senior year in HS....? Well it might not be a good comparison coming off the broken back. It will be interesting.

Shoot - forgot to add that the jump from 16 to 17 yrs old I BELIEVE was due to long-toss. When she started to throw the ball, on line, the whole distance of the HS gym the speed really took off.

Jul 26, 2010
Great info RB. For reference, at what ages did she have growth spurts and when did she stop growing?

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Inside pitch,

As far as ball speed goes, this is my opinion from my pitching all my life and that of students that used what I teach.

There are 2 pitching styles, one is stronger than the other.

The mechanics you use must be strong, aggressive and fast.

The timing of those mechanics must be correct.

When all of that together is as perfect as it can be, it is very easy to throw with great speed and the fastest you have ever thrown before.

However, (and this is something I have rarely seen discussed here) if all of that is not as smooth as silk, you will NEVER hit the fastest speed you have ever thrown, it just aint gonna happen. If you are as warm as you should be, it takes next to ZERO effort to throw your fastest.

Now, as far as your question goes, do I think young pitchers hit leveling off 'Planes' during their careers" I believe so, however, I also know and have proven many times, that more speed is there hiding but it is a mental thing. They dont throw any faster BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW THEY CAN!.

it is never a case of just muscles, strength and mechanics. EVERYTHING ust be SOOO smooth it is almost scary.
Some have commented after watching a video of some of the men pitchers and how effortless they make it look to throw with great speed. It really isnt that they are giving the appearance it is effortless,,,, , THAT IS HOW IT IS! Effortless or nearly effortless. Even very young pitchers can reach that point, they dont bust a sweat throwing faster than any of the other pitchers. Thats one of the big reasons they can throw many games in a day, they arent really working hard at all.

I dont believe any pitch can ever truly top out on speed. There is always more there, if the instructor knows how to bring it out in them.

Others will disagree with that as they always do.

If someone, especially an instructor says your pitcher has topped out on speed, tell em for me they are full of crap!

Feb 5, 2010
These numbers look to be very close to what I have come across so far with my DD. I thought some of the smaller gains were closely related to changes in mechanics as well growth spurts. Often times the changes would cause a slow down in the beginning. Only to come back stronger and more sound. At 14 she is now cruising at 54/55 but was struggling 50/51 six months ago with changes. It can be very hard for them to understand that there are times when taking a step back to move forward is needed. DD is also still growing so with hard work I think there will be increases.
Hal makes a great point, my dd will often times tell me that she feels like she is not really putting it all in but it will be faster. She will tell me that she feels like there is much more there. The trick seems to be finding it.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Thanks for all the answers. My buddy who's daughter is a sophomore, seemed to hover around 61-62 since the spring and he was concerned when he heard that. She is already getting a lot of looks from the smaller schools but the usual comment from the big D1s is let us know when she hits 65. She goes to the gym so I don't think it's a matter on not having the muscle. I suspect he is looking for a new PC now to help him find 3-4 mph.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
This is a great thread and perfect timing. DD is working on correcting mechanics and speed had dropped. She is very discouraged. Can't wait to show her this. I tell her daily why her speed is down but I'm just mom. Thank you all!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1