question for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2009
coaches - have you ever given your team a writtten test to , well test their knowledge on things. may be a test on situations and where the play is, or who has priority on certain balls, or responsibilities of players during certain plays and the many, many things you could ask about hitting etc...

i think something like this could be fun.

anyone have a sample test they'd like to share?

May 29, 2009
A few years ago when coaching Little League, my DD and I put together a "Are you smarter than a T-ball player" game show quiz. When practice got rained out, the girls would come over and we'd play the game. We made up 3 levels of questions such as "you're the runner on second, less than 2 outs, no runner on 1st, and the batter hits a ground ball to SS...what do you do?" Stuff like that. The girls loved it!!

As for the original question, I think a quiz is a great idea. How do you know what to teach them if you don't know what they don't know?

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I've given a 14U team (2006 Southern MD Exteme) a take home test. Intent was to teach them the game. We spent 15 minutes at the next practice going over the questions and letting the girls tell me why they answered as they did. Questions ranged from field dimensions, to situational, to rules (my favorite being batter-runner runs toward 1B and STOPS, then backs up............., or less then 2 out, winning run at 3B late in the game (6th/7th inning) and a LONG Foul ball or a foul ball 30+ feet behind a corner base and pulling the fielder AWAY from Home plate.. what would you do?

Girls had fun, parents thought it was a great idea and lets them start THINKING at this age and NOT JUST REACTING to what a coach tells them. They often do what they are told, but don't always understand why and I want ALL my players to LEARN the game and THINK like its a Chess match.... if I do this, this might happen. If this happens, what will they probably do???

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think I disagree with the answer to #6.

I thought the hands were considered part of the bat.
Then again, if a part of the body is in the strikezone and gets hit, it's not a HBP.

Good Quiz tho!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Amy is very, very good...

ASA Rule 8, Section 1, F (2):
If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including the hands, while swinging at a pitch, the ball is dead and a strike called. If it is strike three, the batter is out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207