Question about verbal offer/signings and academics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
When a recruited athlete accepts a verbal offer, or later on signs a letter of intent, am I correct to assume that the offer is contingent upon the athlete getting accepted to the school? If it is a verbal offer given during sophomore or junior year, is the athlete told what the minimum requirements for acceptance are? (especially if the SAT/ACTs haven't been taken yet?). It's pretty clear that a low B student wouldn't get into Harvard based on softball alone, nor would the quintessential Harvard coach recruit such athlete, but what about student athletes that are "on the fence" academically for their particular school of choice?

If a student athlete is lucky enough to get recruited to her academic "reach" school, should she have a contingency plan in place in case the admissions office disagrees with the coach's endorsement?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
When a recruited athlete accepts a verbal offer, or later on signs a letter of intent, am I correct to assume that the offer is contingent upon the athlete getting accepted to the school?

Yes. That goes for a verbal offer, but even a signed letter of intent requires that you meet the required minimum SAT/ACT and GPA. Happens all the time in football. Kids who sign with Alabama might up at a junior college or prep school. Some are all good to go and then they fail to graduate from high school, which is a sure way of not getting in college. I've heard of schools pulling verbal offers because they see you're not on track to qualify academically.

This is all based on my knowledge of football and college recruiting. I've not been through the softball thing. Just assuming it must be the same.

Oct 14, 2008
You hear about kids that verbal to a college but their act,s are not quite up to snuff. Or their academic portion of their scholarship is effected by the low act scores. Verbals can hang with a lower score if the student promises to raise it. But before the NLI is signed and a final number is given it will either be where it needs to be or there may be no signing. Or if close enough they may sign but the academic portion of it may hurt them............. and it can be a considerable amount of their student loan value

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You hear about kids that verbal to a college but their act,s are not quite up to snuff. Or their academic portion of their scholarship is effected by the low act scores. Verbals can hang with a lower score if the student promises to raise it. But before the NLI is signed and a final number is given it will either be where it needs to be or there may be no signing. Or if close enough they may sign but the academic portion of it may hurt them............. and it can be a considerable amount of their student loan value

^^^^THIS^^^^

At the point of a verbal, the university may know little about the athlete's academic record. However, the school has a process that all athletes go through. This would include what may transpire on an official visit.

Remember that a coach has often made an offer and then, left the room on an official visit and an academic advisor has come in to a room to discuss other monies. In our case, they told us that based upon my dd's GPA, class rank, community activity, and ACT that she qualifie for x amount of scholarships and would probably be awarded multiple other monies. Then, the advisor made it clear that while they have said this, each of these scholarship opportunities will depend upon a governing body of that scholarship awarding the money. The advisor himself/herself does not control that but does have historical reference to fall back on.

Oct 14, 2008
^^^^THIS^^^^

At the point of a verbal, the university may know little about the athlete's academic record. However, the school has a process that all athletes go through. This would include what may transpire on an official visit.

Remember that a coach has often made an offer and then, left the room on an official visit and an academic advisor has come in to a room to discuss other monies. In our case, they told us that based upon my dd's GPA, class rank, community activity, and ACT that she qualifie for x amount of scholarships and would probably be awarded multiple other monies. Then, the advisor made it clear that while they have said this, each of these scholarship opportunities will depend upon a governing body of that scholarship awarding the money. The advisor himself/herself does not control that but does have historical reference to fall back on.

Agreed alot is riding on that verbal when its made, not only from the coaches side to honor it but from the players side to keep things good enough on their part. Alot fall into the trap of ok im done until the time comes to sign then they realize they now cant afford to go there because of the lower scores

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Thanks guys, this has been very helpul. As a follow up question - what would an athlete do if the verbal fell through or if other money didn't pan out? Would she contact coaches and start over? Has she been in contact with other coaches "just in case"? Is this frowned upon? Coaches keep lists of athletes to call upon if their first choices don't work out, should an athlete do the same with colleges? Looking back, I think I got extremely lucky in that I actually got accepted to the college I was recruited to. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't get in - maybe my parents were sweating bullets over the whole thing and just didn't tell me....

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks guys, this has been very helpul. As a follow up question - what would an athlete do if the verbal fell through or if other money didn't pan out? Would she contact coaches and start over? Has she been in contact with other coaches "just in case"? Is this frowned upon? Coaches keep lists of athletes to call upon if their first choices don't work out, should an athlete do the same with colleges? Looking back, I think I got extremely lucky in that I actually got accepted to the college I was recruited to. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't get in - maybe my parents were sweating bullets over the whole thing and just didn't tell me....

This parent is in a similar state of sweating bullets and what I am telling DD is that she better keep the grades at the top cuz we are going to need that money too!!

But great questions about what you "should do post a verbal" and I am dying to hear from the panel of experts !

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Indiana, you should have sought/contacted multiple schools along the way and should know the level of interest each has. My dd was interested in one particular D-I and they stayed in contact with her all through the process be it invites to camps, showing up at games in tournaments, ... Then, for whatever reason, that fell through. It was very hard on my dd. Still, we knew the interest out there and dd proceeded to make contacts and let each know that she was not committed and would like to visit either officially or unofficially.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Yes. That goes for a verbal offer, but even a signed letter of intent requires that you meet the required minimum SAT/ACT and GPA. Happens all the time in football. Kids who sign with Alabama might up at a junior college or prep school. Some are all good to go and then they fail to graduate from high school, which is a sure way of not getting in college. I've heard of schools pulling verbal offers because they see you're not on track to qualify academically.

This is all based on my knowledge of football and college recruiting. I've not been through the softball thing. Just assuming it must be the same.

College football is a HUGE money maker and typically financially supports every other sports program other than men's basketball, so schools are willing to accept football players with lower academic credentials than the rest of the student body. Softball, not so much.

Dec 7, 2011
Another facet of dilemma relative to this topic :

If you are being courted for a hopeful Verbal are you obligated to go to all the rest of the camps that the school holds?

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619