DD committed in August and got acceptance today

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 11, 2016
Well, my DD was very clear with her academics / sport objectives. She decided a while ago that she would prioritize academics and only play softball for a DIII school. If she were to go to a DI school, she would not be playing softball.

In August, she committed to Middlebury College, which is a DIII school in Vermont, one of the top academic schools in the nation and one of her top choices. Because this college is DIII, the commitment was really a commitment to apply through early decision with a guaranteed spot upon acceptance.

Today, DD received acceptance letter, and she already accepted. She is now officially a Panther. We are very proud of her, considering that she started playing softball 5-1/2 years ago.

Middlebury College is part of the highly selective Little Ivy colleges (NESCAC league).

Go Panthers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
Congratulations. That’s awesome. Middlebury is a wonderful school.

Just an aside, that what division a school plays in and what the academic commitment is are completely independent. There are D3 schools that expect as much or more than D1 schools athletically, and vise versa. And same for academics.

I attended a D1 school where routinely athletes missed games for academic commitments. Like “hey coach, I can’t pitch tomorrow I have a bio lab I can’t miss”.

Aug 11, 2016
Congratulations. That’s awesome. Middlebury is a wonderful school.

Just an aside, that what division a school plays in and what the academic commitment is are completely independent. There are D3 schools that expect as much or more than D1 schools athletically, and vise versa. And same for academics.

I attended a D1 school where routinely athletes missed games for academic commitments. Like “hey coach, I can’t pitch tomorrow I have a bio lab I can’t miss”.

Yes, there are exceptions at all D levels, but in general there are more strict and increased commitment requirements at D1 schools (in general). That's the decision she made, and she stuck to it.

Middlebury is a high academics school, and that is prioritized. We understand that this doesn't mean that they are not competitive. They are and they want to win. A small percentage of high school girls ever make it to college softball, so, DIII college softball is still highly competitive. But that is how she rationalized it, and we as parents stood behind her 100%.

Jun 8, 2016
Well, my DD was very clear with her academics / sport objectives. She decided a while ago that she would prioritize academics and only play softball for a DIII school. If she were to go to a DI school, she would not be playing softball.

In August, she committed to Middlebury College, which is a DIII school in Vermont, one of the top academic schools in the nation and one of her top choices. Because this college is DIII, the commitment was really a commitment to apply through early decision with a guaranteed spot upon acceptance.

Today, DD received acceptance letter, and she already accepted. She is now officially a Panther. We are very proud of her, considering that she started playing softball 5-1/2 years ago.

Middlebury College is part of the highly selective Little Ivy colleges (NESCAC league).

Go Panthers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats. My wife and I went to another NESCAC school, Tufts. I think she ran in a track meet at Middlebury.

Aug 11, 2016
Congrats! DD was on their radar for a bit when she was a sophomore after she attended a Headfirst Camp.

Thanks! DD attended two Headfirst Camps. Those are great. However, although Headfirst Camps helped, it was not the main venue that allowed my DD to land at Middlebury. As expected, many other factors involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Congratulations! I'm happy to hear your DD has not only found her dream school, but was accepted and has the option of continuing her softball career. I wish her the best of luck and continued success!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Thanks! DD attended two Headfirst Camps. Those are great. However, although Headfirst Camps helped, it was not the main venue that allowed my DD to land at Middlebury. As expected, many other factors involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Congrats on Middleburg. DD was recruited by them and I had a lot of interaction with the coach who was always nice. The town is quaint and I think the college has their own ski mountain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2