Question about verbal offer/signings and academics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
A very valid question, RubberBiscuit, and thank you for sharing your DD's experience! Thanks also to Cannonball for sharing his story. From your other posts, Cannonball, it sounds like your daughter has overcome many obstacles along the way; I wish her the very best and truly do believe that bumps in the road make us stronger and more appreciative of what we are blessed with.

I appreciate the college football stories as well! My Dad went to Michigan and walked on the football team. After two years of being used as a plaything for the scholarship boys, though, he decided maybe an NFL career wasn't in the cards and focused on his engineering degree instead. He always looked back on his time in the Big House fondly and was glad that he did it (his biggest problem was that the scholarship boys got to eat like kings in their own dining hall while my Dad and the other walk ons were left on their own - he figured another year on the scout team and he would starve to death!)

Curious to hear about the camps issue for courted players, especially as that could get kind of pricey if it is out of state?

Dec 7, 2011
Well DD got her first D1(mid major) offer. It's so great to see DD's hard work ethic pay off.

Fact of the matter though is that DD still needs to hammer the ACT now to fill in the gap with academic $$$ to make it complete.

Any of you veterans know what kind of average academic scholarship award % can be had out there?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Well DD got her first D1(mid major) offer. It's so great to see DD's hard work ethic pay off.

Fact of the matter though is that DD still needs to hammer the ACT now to fill in the gap with academic $$$ to make it complete.

Any of you veterans know what kind of average academic scholarship award % can be had out there?

https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/sat-math

Here's a good place to start...

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

This link may or may not help, I haven't gone through the whole 10+ pages.

IMPORTANT: Links to AUTOMATIC/GUARANTEED Merit Scholarships - College Confidential

May 23, 2010
For the ACT, buy the red book (think the official title is The Real ACT). The practice tests are true ACT tests. My kid only did one practice test the week prior to taking the ACT, but her score on the real test was almost identical to the red book practice test. The SAT is the test of choice on the east coast so she prepped for the SAT.

You can also have her do the ACT question of the day and practice test questions at A Student Site for ACT Test Takers | ACT Student The ACT is very similar to typical standardized tests, so if she does well on those, the ACT shouldn't be a problem.

The score required for academic $$ varies, but I think most academic merit scholarships require a 28+. The higher dollar merit awards require a 32+ ACT or a 1400+ (M+V) SAT. Not all schools give merit aid though, so you need to check out the situation at each school.

TxDad96

Verbally Committed Dad
Mar 4, 2013
Not all but at least one per session. I beleive the are wanting to make sure that the skills sset is developing and improving and they are still interviewing your daughter and seeing how to develop her skill set and to see the parents how they are acting. Remember they are interviewing your daughter and you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez