Puss pockets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Should I confront the parent pot-stirrer?

She has a right to complain to you, but no right to stir the pot w/ other parents. I've only recently begun to see the need for a rule to cover this - parents who criticize coaches and even players with other parents. It can be toxic, as I'm sure you have seen over the years. To answer your question, I would talk with the parent and reassure her that you will hear with an open mind any complaint that she has, but that venting to other parents will hurt the team and her daughter.

Apr 25, 2010
I can honestly say, without reservation, you are FAR better to get rid of pot stirrer. From experience, I would bet money that she is also bad mouthing you to other people and doesn't think you will find out. It is sad for her kid, but mom is going to destroy her kid's youth career, and gain herself quite the reputation.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Chronic lateness is extremely rude and a form of narcissistic behavior, i.e. they believe their time is much more important than yours. There is no fixing it as a coach. Show them the door before they drive you even more crazy and tear apart your team.

Mar 26, 2013
re: being late ...

I would frame it this way - She is not being punished for being late. Rather, you play or start only those players who are properly warmed up. She didn't get to warm up properly. Doesn't matter why. It's not a punishment. There is no blame. It's just the natural consequences of how you run the team - You plan the next game at least 30 minutes in advance, and players who are not present 30 minutes (or whatever time) ahead of the game are not included in the plan.
+1^^ They're definitely not in the starting lineup. You may - or may not - get them in the game after they've warmed up properly.

As Cyclone posted, 14U+ players have a role in this. They need to make sure they're ready to leave on time. If necessary they can remind their parents ahead of time by asking who is driving and when they're leaving to get to xyz on time. If the parents are really the problem, the player might be able to arrange a ride with a teammate.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
When I coached rec league, everyone on the team knew the batting order was determined by the order in which the kids showed up for the game. While it did not make any difference to those who were always on time and wanted to be there, it did save me a lot of complaining when the late ones were batting last. I do things a bit differently now in TB, but the same principles apply - if you are on time, you are under consideration for being in the starting lineup; late, and you will ride the pine for an inning or two as I can't be bothered to rewrite the lineup and get the team warmed up.

In terms of the pot stirrer, don't put up with it. She may think she knows more than you because she has been through this before and can use that to her advantage. I would bet each of her kids going through TB have been on progressively more teams in shorter periods of time.

Feb 3, 2011
I know all situations call for different solutions but generally speaking, if there has been no direct reprimand yet of the pot-stirrer, is it better to confront them 1-on-1 even though all your info is second-hand? Or would it be better to call a parent meeting and watch them squirm on the hot seat for a bit?

Nov 29, 2009
I have had several players like this in the past - the ones that want to play will get their parents moving and on-time or will take over the communication part of this if their parents don't

Funny story. Had a mom on a 10U team I had who was habitually late for everything. It was tryout time. The DD told the mom the tryout was an hour earlier than the start time so she would be there on time. The girl was on time for the tryouts.

Jun 24, 2013
Chronic lateness is extremely rude and a form of narcissistic behavior, i.e. they believe their time is much more important than yours. There is no fixing it as a coach. Show them the door before they drive you even more crazy and tear apart your team.

I had a friend growing up, well actually was friends with 2 brothers. Their family was about 8 children and mom and dad kept trying to grow it. The mother was the classic case for what you stated. Narcissistic. Really bad. So bad, she would constantly show up to church late, like 15-20 minutes late and then take a pew at the front of the church. Her sons and daughters also served as altar boys/girls and when it was their turn to serve, she would still be late. Imagine the embarrassment these kids felt having to go take your position at the front of the church after mass had already begun. It was quite a spectacle. Not sure why the church put up with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz