Push/Stride Length

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
You know come to think of it.......My wife STILL puts up with my passion for helping others in fastpitch..........Sure I'm not on the field as much anymore. But she'll catch me at 3:00 in the morning making a comparison clip for someone on this board who asked me for help, knowing I have to get up at 5:00 am and go to work........She just shakes her head and goes back to bed.......In the morning she'll ask me.........Who the heck are these people to you??? My answer is always the same........They are people who asked me for help........And I give it to them because it makes me happy...........

And after all these years........She STILL understands.......

In fact.......She'll put on a catchers mitt if I ask her to just to help me film some drills for this board........Because she knows I MUST do it.........Because it makes me happy to help and share knowledge with people who care as much as I do..........

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Because it makes me happy to help and share knowledge with people who care as much as I do..........

And thanks to you my daughter ended up on a different pitching path than the one she started. If you are ever in Indianapolis dinner for you and the wife is on me.

If you could do just one thing. If you could "Thanks" someones post it would erase that doughnut next to "Thanks:" in all of your posts. It's like having 1,000,000 twitter followers and following no one.

Hell, even Hillhouse "thanked" a couple posts. ;)

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Same here…You set me and dd on a different path and I will say again…Thank you for sharing your knowledge. If your ever in southern Missouri you have food and a place to stay...just let me know.

Some people don't get it BM and never will.

Through me and dd… just this year you have affected no less than 20 more kids around our area that have been introduced to the correct way of pitching. Of course your known as "This California Guy" here. :) ... Unless they visit this site.

If you ever want to do an ebook even at no charge….i will put it together for you.

It could be called Push and Drag Into Internal Rotation. :D Then the jealous people would have some new things to stew about!

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
BM, I for one am very grateful you still have a passion to teach. I have learned sooo very much from your posts. A recent post of a drill coorrecting an arm circle helped my dd trmendously. She went from lookoing like she was throwing a lasso to throwing the ball again in a matter of days. We were to the point that honestly we were going to give up pitching completely. So again thank you. There are way more people who appreciate your time and effort than you know.. As an fyi there is a pitching instructor in my area that still teaches "step style pitching," but he calls it "ground power" and I think trade marked that term.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Instruct pitchers in an indoor facility where the liability insurance alone runs $1,600.00 a month.l Now add utilities, equipment, maiintenance and up keep. Then you might start charging.

I never introduced the term 'Step style' to this board. Ever see a video of Joan Joyce pitching? The Sling Shot wind up is tyhrown as a step style pitch and she was one of the most successful pitchers in the history of the sport.

Step style has been around alot longer than any of us have. I think Then came leap and drag and faster pitching.

L and D has always been considered the stronger of the two styles because of the speed that can be produced.

BM says he competed at a high level, although, he doesnt know what a leap and drag pitch is? He has to have a video?? Now that's funny. I get attacked by him constantly. If you dont agree with his holiness on every single thing, that is what happens, as a few others have found out.

Let the next foray begin, I guess.

Jun 24, 2009
BM, Your time is certainly not being wasted. Thanks for what you are doing. Has made a big difference in my DD's pitching.I pass it along to those who need my help. Thank you for your time. Don't bother with clicking the thanks button. THANK YOU!!!

Jul 14, 2008
Instruct pitchers in an indoor facility where the liability insurance alone runs $1,600.00 a month.l Now add utilities, equipment, maiintenance and up keep. Then you might start charging.

Skinner, I said I haven't charged for a pitching lesson since before I began posting on this board, as a response to Left Field's claim that I use this board to gain paid lessons...........I didn't say I NEVER EVER charged for a pitching lesson. I charged for lessons for over 20 years.........

I never introduced the term 'Step style' to this board.

Skinner...........Why do you have such a hard time comprehending such simple language? I said you introduced the TERM "step-style" to this board. I didn't say you "invented it"............You can't figure out why I hammer you all the time? You don't READ and COMPREHEND words that are written............And because of that you TWIST things into other things then attack those OTHER THINGS.............What's wrong with you?

Ever see a video of Joan Joyce pitching? The Sling Shot wind up is thrown as a step style pitch and she was one of the most successful pitchers in the history of the sport.

Yep I realize that..........The POINT IS.........We are not speaking about "sling-shot" pitching as a current method on this board. It's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to throw that method of sling-shot any other way because of the bio-mechanics of that pitching style........

What you don't seem to get, even though I've explained it many times here is that your "super secret submarine pitch" has been referred to as sling-shot for more then 30 years as well........A sling-shot pitch is any pitch that uses a backward then forward motion ONLY to throw the pitch.........

Step style has been around alot longer than any of us have. I think Then came leap and drag and faster pitching.

Tell that to Eddie Feigner..........A classic stepper.........

L and D has always been considered the stronger of the two styles because of the speed that can be produced.

DUH.........

BM says he competed at a high level, although, he doesnt know what a leap and drag pitch is?

Here we go again..........Who said I don't know what the term Leap and Drag refers to?........Of course I do dummy........What I said is I DON'T LIKE THE TERM "LEAP" that is used to refer to a strong PUSH FROM THE RUBBER followed by a drag of the pivot foot......It insinuates a VERTICAL MOTION as in MEN WHO CAN LEGALLY LEAP.........That term is responsible for MANY MANY YOUNG STUDENTS WHO CANNOT/DO NOT DRAG THE PIVOT FOOT............The problem is Skinner.........You are TOO TIED UP with your "catch phrases"........I DO NOT USE LEAP AND DRAG as a term to teach my students.........I use PUSH OFF AND DRAG........And I've never had a student who can't keep the pivot foot on the ground because of it..........

He has to have a video?? Now that's funny. I get attacked by him constantly. If you dont agree with his holiness on every single thing, that is what happens, as a few others have found out.

I said show me video of a current pitcher........OR AN INSTRUCTOR who is currently teaching "Step-Style".......

So far no one has produced on..........

Let the next foray begin, I guess.

Look........Just start READING AND UNDERSTANDING what I write..........Don't twist my words to FIT YOUR AGGENDA........

You just might find we aren't as far apart as you think..........You like 45 degrees closed.......I like 45 degrees open.........Yet you MUST MAKE A BIG DEAL OVER who teaches "open" and who teaches "closed"...........

Like I told you before.........You MUST categorize everything so you can be different........To sell your wares and/or push your aggenda of "Coach Hal's Methods"...........

I don't need to do that.........I want to be RIGHT in what I teach.......NOT DIFFERENT.......

For EXAMPLE........I want a STRONG PUSH from the Rubber..........NOT A "LEAP" off the rubber.........And I don't have to tell people "Don't worry, the leapers know what I mean"............Like you stated earlier..........How stupid is that to have to make that statement to a board full of people trying to learn how to pitch.......Or teach pitching............

Why don't you get that Skinner............

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Leap and drag is the biggest hoax in the sport. Secondly, I have found that if you don't charge for lessons people don't value what you tell them. People generally don't want free advice. Sounds silly but it is true.

Aug 21, 2008
You're it. I'm still trying to remember when I thanked you... When that other person posted that I thanked BM, I thought "NO WAY!!!!" I could never thank John (yes, I do know his real name... I bet Skinner is jealous).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG