Push/Stride Length

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
For the past few weeks I have noticed my DD's pushing distance has increased b a few inches. It seems that this is affecting her timing and causing her to become a little inconsistent....not bad but definitley not as consistent has she has been in the past. She is missing high (chest level) when she misses so I assume it is her release point. This leads me to ask what the proper stride/push length for an 11 year old...or is there a proper length? Also, could pushing/striding too far cause timing issues?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Is she still pitching in games? If not and all else is well, I'd let her work it out. Timing, release point, etc., usually works itself out when all else is good.

Stride length varies. I like to see kids work toward the most powerful stride they can generate and still maintain control. Find the limit and train past it from time to time. When working on being more explosive, pitch into a net or backstop up close. Then take it out to regular distance and work up to the point of losing control, then back off until she finds that sweet spot.

I have seen a couple kids who were so limber that they got stretched out too far to get a stable plant. They weren't driving as hard as they needed to compliment their reach. They would either need to adjust the reach or develop a little more umph to get into a good position at plant.

Hope that helps,
Ken

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Let me guess. She has been taught to pitch as a step style pitcher but now she is trying to throw with strength and speed that the step style mechanics can no longer contain. That is called 'Pitching style limbo'.

She surely feels that something is holding her back from throwing as hard / fast as she KNOWS she can. Seen it a thousand times.

This is the point where many step style pitchers have to switch to leap and drag. That is why other instructors would refer students to me, to make that transition.

Dec 7, 2011
Let me guess. She has been taught to pitch as a step style pitcher but now she is trying to throw with strength and speed that the step style mechanics can no longer contain. That is called 'Pitching style limbo'.

She surely feels that something is holding her back from throwing as hard / fast as she KNOWS she can. Seen it a thousand times.

This is the point where many step style pitchers have to switch to leap and drag. That is why other instructors would refer students to me, to make that transition.

Hal is there a definitive description somewhere on what you call "Step-Style"?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It all depends on where the pivot foot is at the exact instant of LFT, Landing Foot Touchdown.

If the pivot foot comes forward of the rubber AFTER LFT = Step Style
If the pivot foot comes forward of the rubber BEFORE LFT = Leap and Drag

Some step style instructors will try and convince people that a step style is actually L and D because the pivot foot gets dragged forward, but that happens after LFT.

Step style adds little to assistance in ball speed because the step is slow and easy where L ad D is quick and aggressive.
Most step style pitchers throw with 95% shoulder.

Know what you are buying into.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
DSC_0259-001.jpg This is a pic of my DD from our tournament last weekend. She has been working on stronger leg drive and it was definitely apparent in her pitching. However, this pic reveals what I wasn't catching with the naked eye. DD and I just had a little chat while going through all the pics. On the bright side, of the many pics of her pitching, this was the only technically IP in the bunch. :)

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I was a leap and drag pitcher. Every student I ever worked with learned l and d mechanics.

My apologies for the 'Shameless plug', as many call it, for my book.

I started off every new student from 8 to 22 with 'Coach Hal's Foundation Method'. It is a simple method to start out a beginner on L and D, tune up a more advanced pitcher and is exactly the method I used to convert steppers to L and D. It is chapter 8 in my book.

It gives the pitcher a very strong foundation and consistency in the stride.

I put on a clinic for a 10 under team. I used this method and sent a copy of it home with each of the 14 kids. They learned it so quickly and so well that 30 days after that clinic, their organization held a pitching clinic for 8Us. They used my Foundation Method.

The instructors were the 14 10U players from the clinic I put on. It is that easy to learn and learn correctlyand duplicate exactly any time they want. It was a huge success and a few local papers covered the story well.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
View attachment 4290 This is a pic of my DD from our tournament last weekend. She has been working on stronger leg drive and it was definitely apparent in her pitching. However, this pic reveals what I wasn't catching with the naked eye. DD and I just had a little chat while going through all the pics. On the bright side, of the many pics of her pitching, this was the only technically IP in the bunch. :)

I'm jealous of that circle. Never see one that flat, first game of the year on that field?

Jun 1, 2013
Hal, can we start a post where we can all I just ask you questions? Like "Ask Hal" and have it pinned under pitching? I have my daughter at pitching lessons with a less "outstanding" coach. I changed her mechanics to L&D and he didn't notice. Anyway my question is about more speed or torque? When plant foot hits she should she be rolling her shoulder forward to increase arm speed. Creating more whip? She is going in to 14u and tops out at 52. To me she is not using her all tue energy she is creating. She is not I/R. I stay with this coach because he is local but mainly he has girls that through hard with control. I know everyone has heard the proud dad that boasts his 12u is hitting 60, but I watch a first 12u every week hit 61, 62. My daughter catches for her. He sends girls to college and he has several throwing above 60. That is why I stay but he is not technical at all and I am missing something. I know 52 isn't bad but she is not utilizing all of her energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG