Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
At the same time reading a line drive hit right at you with back spin in the outfield can be a nightmare. I don't know how many times I've seen outfielders charge a ball only to see it sail right over their head.
I've seen it too. Just like I've seen the big girl with slow bat hit the further than the little girl with quicker bat. Pattar can you put the math to this. Spins effect on the distance the ball travels.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How are we defining a "cut" swing? Negative attack angle at contact? Good luck with that at game speed where pitchers are trying to get you out..or are we trying to say hit slightly off center which again..good luck doing that on purpose at game speed..
'You' are confusing a practice swing or practicing a feel with a game swing......
I'll second that good luck.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am going to admit my ignorance. I have never heard of a cut swing. The video of Romero is the same type of swing I've seen countless times in softball and baseball. Please help me with my ignorance since she has that ball squared up pretty much every time.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am going to admit my ignorance. I have never heard of a cut swing. The video of Romero is the same type of swing I've seen countless times in softball and baseball. Please help me with my ignorance since she has that ball squared up pretty much every time.
I think hitting inside half of the ball with a slight negative barrel path. I am amazed that not one of Romero HRs hooks even though they all go to LF. A few of them actually look like they tailed right. Romero is a good example why we should not cookie cut swings and that great eye-hand coordination along with athleticism will beat out perfect mechanics hands down.

Nov 16, 2017

In a cut swing the barrel continues straight through or slightly under the ball path after impact. The ball will rise at a steep angle off of the bat with a butt load of back spin (slightly below dead center). On a full barrel swing the barrel follows the path of the ball after impact with some or little to no spin (dead center). You can also tell a cut swing because the instant after impact the bat still has a downward point even though it has started up.

Easier to see this in slow pitch as the ball has a large downward arch. However the guys don't hit the ball in a true barrel sense ie: matching plane.

Bonds is a cut swing:

These are pure barrel as posted before.

Nov 16, 2017
Donaldson cuts the crap out of the ball.

My eye says that if Donaldson pure barrels this ball he would have hit a line drive 4 feet high. But because he catches it straight through on the bottom 3rd it is long gone.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
I think hitting inside half of the ball with a slight negative barrel path. I am amazed that not one of Romero HRs hooks even though they all go to LF. A few of them actually look like they tailed right. Romero is a good example why we should not cookie cut swings and that great eye-hand coordination along with athleticism will beat out perfect mechanics hands down.

I am not sure this bat path is not "perfect". I am thinking this type of path is perfect, or at least preferred.

Nov 16, 2017
Then why does he also ground out? A backspin ground ball is extraordinarily rare
Cause sometimes you don't hit the bottom 3rd of the ball.

My point is, I think the best MLB players and softball players like Sierra Romero and Lauren Chamberlain are not thinking get on plane early. Get behind the ball. And this thinking is evident in their swings. The way they attack the ball is different than the TTB mindset. Their path cuts through the ball and the barrel doesn't follow the balls exit path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish