Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
This looks like cutting the ball.

For sure. It's something I have been working on as well with my DD as I have seen lots of cuts going deep. We've been talking it over and experimenting. We have always tried to achieve full on path barrel contact but have seen many videos cutting as well. The location of the pitch is obviously a factor. High pitch or high tee more cutting. Couldn't cut these swings by Donaldson

Allysa DiCarlo who was a prolific college HR hitter and hit for average too was clearly not a cutter, In fact, she was always very steep

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
yWk4qXa.gif

DLuFpCt.gif

DMhOwAd.gif

mO4nVqR.gif

FvyM7qe.gif

Jun 8, 2016
How are we defining a "cut" swing? Negative attack angle at contact? Good luck with that at game speed where pitchers are trying to get you out..or are we trying to say hit slightly off center which again..good luck doing that on purpose at game speed..

May 1, 2018
Not nearly as hard doing it in SP, off the T, or soft-toss. As a fielder, I found that the scariest hit is one coming hard with topspin. I've played with people who looked like they were swinging a tennis racket and, as a fielder, you had no idea what the ball was going to do after it bounced, especially on synthetic turf.
Agreed much easier in SP. Fielding top spin sucks, got to charge the hop so it's not at your face.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How are we defining a "cut" swing? Negative attack angle at contact? Good luck with that at game speed where pitchers are trying to get you out..or are we trying to say hit slightly off center which again..good luck doing that on purpose at game speed..
A very slight negative attack angle and striking the inside of ball just below the equator does seem to make the ball travel farther. That is a big ask at game speed and I will stick to trying to be on plane.

Nov 16, 2017
A very slight negative attack angle and striking the inside of ball just below the equator does seem to make the ball travel farther. That is a big ask at game speed and I will stick to trying to be on plane.

Those pics TDS posted are cut swings IMO. Lauren Chamberlain explains it here.

Start at 5:36

"That swing will get you that cut on the ball".

That swing is the chopping down to.

watch how these swing cut, in fact Jeff Hall says Jose in his "baseball swing". is a twitch, CUT, and go. And Jose hit the ball further.

May 12, 2016
Agreed much easier in SP. Fielding top spin sucks, got to charge the hop so it's not at your face.
At the same time reading a line drive hit right at you with back spin in the outfield can be a nightmare. I don't know how many times I've seen outfielders charge a ball only to see it sail right over their head.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy